Synthetic Vs Synthetic - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2003, 03:44   #1 (permalink)

Synthetic Vs Synthetic

I would like to hear peoples experiances using either Castrol Formula R full synthetic 10W - 60 oil or Mobil 1 5w-50 or Shell Helix synthetic. ESP was talking of switching brands a while ago any news? Also how does the oil pressure handle high loads and temps with synthetic oils?
XC351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2003, 03:51   #2 (permalink)

Re: Synthetic Vs Synthetic

I use Shell Helix Ultra in the AUII XR6 seems great so far no oil useage.
Old 10-23-2003, 21:09   #3 (permalink)
ESP
V8 GT pilot

Hi Guys,

Just switched the Oil a couple of days ago
I've gone from Castrol Formula R 10 - 60 to the Mobil 1 5 - 50

Will let you know how the car handles this new oil.
The Castrol was excellent

ESP
ESP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 00:00   #4 (permalink)

I sent e-mails to Mobil, Shell, Castrol, Penrite,Penzoil. Penrite and Mobile responded sugesting 10/10th's synthetic and Mobile1. I cant find anyone that sells Penrite 10/10th's. Mobile1 looks like it might be the go,thet sent a huge reply with all tech details of the oil, only prob is I need to buy 2 containers as the sump holds 7 ltrs. Still keen to hear from ESP, hows the oil pressure compared to Castrol R?
XC351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 02:44   #5 (permalink)
ESP
V8 GT pilot

Thumbs up Re: Synthetic Vs Synthetic

Mobil 1 so far so good
Lower Oil Pressure ( slightly )on idle when Hot.
Must keep an eye on that when the weather gets hotter.
The Castrol was brilliant under any condition even idling for over 1/2 hour stuck in traffic in ambient temp of 35 degrees
( In an iron Block Clevo , this is nothing to smirk at !!!!! )

I too have one of those trick extended sumps. Had to fill it with 6.5 litres of Mobil 1 to get it to the right fill level. Total cost $ 78 bucks

I have however noticed smoother start up in the mornings.
Will wait to see if this oil has any repeatable effect on fuel economy.

Will keep ya posted
Old 11-05-2003, 21:34   #6 (permalink)
ESP
V8 GT pilot

Thumbs down Re: Synthetic Vs Synthetic

OK , Here it goes.

The Mobil 1 Oil is very slippery I've just discovered.
Seems to be more to these new oils than meets the eye!!

Although it is a 50 weight Oil , this stuff is more slippery than Alan Bond's memory.

My Oil pressure is going HAYWIRE with this stuff. Very Low on Idle , goes into the danger zone on moderate braking and then does something more bizarre than Ford's marketing department for the new GT ad................................it fluctuates like buggery when I turn corners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rang Mobil and they said " Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm , yes sonny that is quite bizarre " DAAAAAAAH

Rang my engine builder and he reckons that my High Volume Oil Pump is really pissin this stuff around and that there may be too little left in the sump on occasion. I should overfill the sump by at least 1/2 a litre to ensure that the pick up is always submerged in OIL.

Doesn't really make sense to me , considering that I'm running a High Capacity sump with Baffles , anyhows , I'll try this little experiment and if it doesn't work............out with the Mobil and back in with the CASTROL 10 - 60
Old 11-06-2003, 00:03   #7 (permalink)

confused Re: Synthetic Vs Synthetic

What's Penrite 10/10ths? I've never heard of it.

I've been running Penrite HPR30 for a while now & have had no problems. I too have a 7 litre sump & high volume oil pump.

The oil presuure does fluctuate a little bit, ie; lower at idle, but quickly picks up when you accelerate.

Good luck with the Mobil 1 "extra slippery stuff".

dave
Old 11-06-2003, 02:37   #8 (permalink)
Whats traction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat F100
What's Penrite 10/10ths? I've never heard of it.
I think is another way of saying 100% synthetic instead of say 7/10ths synthetic 3/10th mineral.

But that is just a guess, I have never heard of it either.
Old 11-06-2003, 04:52   #9 (permalink)

biggrin Re: Synthetic Vs Synthetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
OK , Here it goes.

The Mobil 1 Oil is very slippery I've just discovered.
Seems to be more to these new oils than meets the eye!!

Although it is a 50 weight Oil , this stuff is more slippery than Alan Bond's memory.

My Oil pressure is going HAYWIRE with this stuff. Very Low on Idle , goes into the danger zone on moderate braking and then does something more bizarre than Ford's marketing department for the new GT ad................................it fluctuates like buggery when I turn corners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rang Mobil and they said " Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm , yes sonny that is quite bizarre " DAAAAAAAH

Rang my engine builder and he reckons that my High Volume Oil Pump is really pissin this stuff around and that there may be too little left in the sump on occasion. I should overfill the sump by at least 1/2 a litre to ensure that the pick up is always submerged in OIL.

Doesn't really make sense to me , considering that I'm running a High Capacity sump with Baffles , anyhows , I'll try this little experiment and if it doesn't work............out with the Mobil and back in with the CASTROL 10 - 60
Few years ago put Mobile 1 in and didn't like it for the same reasons as your experiencing. Motor was much more noisey in the lifters, though produced more outright grunt. Had major oil pressure fluctuations. When motor was hot, pulled dip stick out, and really didn't like the feel of thinness of the stuff between my fingers. Went back to Castrol GP50 and/or HPR 30 after that and never looked back.

Heard of a few people with the same issues as me.

After 50 000km of flogging my motor it got recently rebuilt with a stroker crank etc (see Cleveland Tech thread) and the engine builder found the bores, bearings and pistons to look near brand new. I was impressed considering this motor copped a flogging every time I drove the car. So thus very happy with the Castrol GP50 (1st choice) and HPR30 (2nd choice).

But just bought some Castrol Synthetic 10W60 and will use this once the new motor bedded in OK as I hear it's better again. Using HPR30 up until then to bed the rings in.

So not a fan of Mobil1 - probably great if you've got a Toyata twin cam, but the big bore V8's and 6's don't seem to like it.
Old 11-06-2003, 15:47   #10 (permalink)
ESP
V8 GT pilot

mad Re: Synthetic Vs Synthetic

Final Analysis

Overfilled the car with @ 1/2 - 3/4 litre
Still experiencing the same problems. Massive Oil pressure fluctuations under different circumstances. Hard Braking , turning corners , the oil pressure dips down into the red zone.

This stuff is no good for my car. Will dump it this weekend and re fill with the original Castrol Formula R 10 - 60.

Interesting to see that the newer cars aka GT , GTP , XR8 etc do not have oil pressure gauges.

I'd hate to see what the Mobil 1 0 - 40 is doing to these cars !!!!!!!

Bugger , there goes another 80 bucks

: - (
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech