Ford Forums banner

telling apart engines windsor/clevland

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  shaynet 
#1 ·
I just bought an xf with a v8 conversion. the guy said its a 302 stroker however i forgot to ask if its a windsor or a clevo. How can you tell the two apart?

#2 ·
id say it would be a windsor saying its a 302 stroker

the easiest way is the cleveland has a flat timing cover
and the winsor has a timing cover that has sides on it so it covers the timing chain

#4 ·
deankdx said:
easyest way i tell is where the top radiator hose goes into: inlet manifold = windsor, engine block = clevo
This is one easy way...another is count the valve cover bolts. 6 for a Windsor, 8 for a Cleveland. Another is to look at the fuel pump. A Windsor has horizontal bolts, a Cleveland has vertical bolts. Another is the exhaust manifold bolts. A Windsor has horizontal bolts, a Cleveland has staggered top/bottom diagonal bolts.

The easiest way is actually to drive it. The Cleveland will have a bunch of power and the Winnie-sore will be a dog with fleas! <grin>

:davis:

#6 ·
humblereloaded said:
thanks guys, guess its a clevo since it has 8 bolts on the valve covers, radiator hose into the block and yeh, it does have a crap load of power :)

the guy also said the engine was out of a late model ( ie xe) falcon. They didnt come in windsors right?
Right. The last of the Windsors was in the early XW's when they changed over to the Clevelands partway thru that model.

Of course, the Windsors were re-introduced into the EB thru to AUIII.

If you want to see what a real tough Clevo can make, buy the latest edition of Performance Ford mag. The McSweeney brothers had a Clevo making nearly 2000Hp with a Whipple supercharger @ 17% underdriven making 32psi in an EB falcon replica that ran 6.89 @ 192mph from a Nacar 4 bolt mains block

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.