Ford Forums banner

Temp gauge capillary

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  TruBlu351 
#1 ·
Hey guys, trying to fit an autometer 2 1/16 mech temp gauge..
wondering what you guys have done to over-come the whole size needed in the firewall to route the capillary tube?
It wants about a 22mm hole cut for the end to fit through?

and couple things;
-can the tubing be removed from gauge? would make routing easier!

because i have my gauge on the inside of cab, how do they think 6ft is long enough? because routing around near the battery and then through the firewall near the oil sender neeeds near 10ft of length..
unless I run it through the firewall and straight over my motor to the thermo housing, I dont have a chance!!
running the tubing over the motor would cause heat problems i am thinking?

So is it possible to get it made longer? or buy a longer one or do I have to loose out on this one and buy the 12ft version that only reads 120-240F instead?

or electric gauge?

I admit I didn't think of the length because of was just picturing going over the motor :( but i was surprised the gauge it attached to the gauge!

cheers all

See less See more
#2 ·
pracy said:
Hey guys, trying to fit an autometer 2 1/16 mech temp gauge..
wondering what you guys have done to over-come the whole size needed in the firewall to route the capillary tube?
It wants about a 22mm hole cut for the end to fit through?

and couple things;
-can the tubing be removed from gauge? would make routing easier!

because i have my gauge on the inside of cab, how do they think 6ft is long enough? because routing around near the battery and then through the firewall near the oil sender neeeds near 10ft of length..
unless I run it through the firewall and straight over my motor to the thermo housing, I dont have a chance!!
running the tubing over the motor would cause heat problems i am thinking?

So is it possible to get it made longer? or buy a longer one or do I have to loose out on this one and buy the 12ft version that only reads 120-240F instead?

or electric gauge?

I admit I didn't think of the length because of was just picturing going over the motor :( but i was surprised the gauge it attached to the gauge!

cheers all
...mine had a about the right sized hole top drivers side on the firewall, where the factory wiring goes through. Ran it down past the shock tower and accross to the front of the block. Had to remove alternator brackets to fit to block. 6ft is no problem. Gauge is mounted just above the trans tunnel under dash...

Be carefull not to damage the tube. I damaged one a while ago and it appears that there was a strong stench similar to 'ether' coming from the gauge!! :wtf2:

#4 ·
hmm well with the XE i have no hole left, being manual still and all!!

I called rocket and they will take the gauge back even with no plastic rap, which is good.

so know i have the choice of either going the 120-240 with 12ft and drilling a 22mm hole or going a full swep electri gauge.

i think i might go electri, any bad sides?

cheers

#8 ·
I'm running an autometer mechnical gauge on the XD with a 6 foot long tube. The running along the motor won't cause any false readings because its colder than the sensor anyway.

My firewall had a "spare" hole (ie: just big enough to fit the aluminium fitting thru from the inside - just behind the left rocker cover). I fitted a rubber grommet into the hole with a slit for the tubing to sit in so it doesn't rub and cut through.

Mechanicals are heaps better.

You can see all the round balck rubber grommets I have fitted to the firewall on the left and the numerous holes to choose from - although I've ripped most things out :hehe:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.