thermo quad carby p6 ltd - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2006, 23:08   #1 (permalink)

thermo quad carby p6 ltd

hey everyone gaskets in my thermo quad carby off 351 in a p6 ltd are stuffed! just wondered if anyone knew how much to get a kit put through? or how much to just get a new one if possible? engine is stock and runs duel fuel all thoughts greatly apprecaited.
gsr9395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2006, 00:44   #2 (permalink)

Re: thermo quad carby p6 ltd

I believe kits are about $50. It is a very simple carby to put a kit through.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 01:03   #3 (permalink)

thanks very much that sound fair enough.
Old 02-18-2006, 17:38   #4 (permalink)

its not recomended to run these carbs with duel fuel. they have a plastic base section that can warp and then allow fuel to leak out of the carb and onto the dizzy. the chance of warpage is increased when the fuel bowl is filled and emptied with duel fuel usage. eg the fuel is not in the carb for heat soak or absorbsion. cheers ex kleenheat auto gas installer. 1989-2001
xrglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 01:25   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrglen
its not recomended to run these carbs with duel fuel. they have a plastic base section that can warp and then allow fuel to leak out of the carb and onto the dizzy. the chance of warpage is increased when the fuel bowl is filled and emptied with duel fuel usage. eg the fuel is not in the carb for heat soak or absorbsion. cheers ex kleenheat auto gas installer. 1989-2001
Ok .. dont know how true this is, but the guy who told me is not known for lying. But anywho. He was saying how he had a Thermoquad running dual fuel and the plasic base actually cracked, frying his whole car. Once I heard that I quickly threw the quady in the back of the garage! Much happier with my new manifold/carby setup anywho
Old 02-19-2006, 06:38   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrglen
Very true and correct. Running a Thermoquad on gas is a very bad and dangerous thing to do. I have seen many (late eighties and early nineties) cleveland powered Fairlanes and LTD's at the wreckers with either burnt out engine bays or totally burnt. The real obvious thing here is that you can actually see where the crack/hole in the bakerlite has formed on the cars that only have minor fires.

I am no fan of holley's but they are a must when running on gas.

Paul
paull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 22:44   #7 (permalink)

just spoke to my machanic and he said dont even worry about running it on petrol? just gas, any thoughts? thanks for the other great replies boys.
Old 02-23-2006, 23:28   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr9395
just spoke to my machanic and he said dont even worry about running it on petrol? just gas, any thoughts? thanks for the other great replies boys.
Mate, the last three posts are from blokes who gave good reasons NOT to use a TQ on LPG. Just 'cause your mechanic hasn't seen it happen, or heard of it happening, doesn't mean it won't.

Or, you could give it a go and see what happens. The only problem is, if your mechanic is wrong you are the loser.......
RPO-083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 00:48   #9 (permalink)
Boost Is for Pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPO-083
Mate, the last three posts are from blokes who gave good reasons NOT to use a TQ on LPG. Just 'cause your mechanic hasn't seen it happen, or heard of it happening, doesn't mean it won't.

Or, you could give it a go and see what happens. The only problem is, if your mechanic is wrong you are the loser.......
I think he was asking about running on straight LPG, ie not dual fuel.
Old 02-24-2006, 15:00   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaBoy
I think he was asking about running on straight LPG, ie not dual fuel.
Oops!! I can see that now......

Straight gas; silly me. Sorry.
RPO-083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech