thremos - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2005, 22:26   #1 (permalink)

thremos

hey guys just got my 16inch thermo on and it runs great. if anyone is thinking of doing and just holding back then wait no longer, it's the best investment i've made by far. keeps the car cool even when rippin em up 4 the diehards out at ford day in geelong!!
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2005, 17:23   #2 (permalink)
XFFAIRMONT

Re: thremos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy
hey guys just got my 16inch thermo on and it runs great. if anyone is thinking of doing and just holding back then wait no longer, it's the best investment i've made by far. keeps the car cool even when rippin em up 4 the diehards out at ford day in geelong!!
Hey mate how are ya? Hey i am wanting to put a thermo on mine cause that fan belt and revs don't mix so much. Do you need a big cowl. Could you possibly post some pics of ya setup any any info on it. For that matter anyone else who has put them on. I can't get up it until i do or it turns the belt inside out and shit.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:33   #3 (permalink)
ESP Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFFAIRMONT
Hey mate how are ya? Hey i am wanting to put a thermo on mine cause that fan belt and revs don't mix so much. Do you need a big cowl. Could you possibly post some pics of ya setup any any info on it. For that matter anyone else who has put them on. I can't get up it until i do or it turns the belt inside out and shit.
Just been thru the belt turning inside out caper. Alternator was slightly misaligned after fitting AFD alloys (they sit further forward than cast heads)
I went thru 5 Bosch belts as fast as I could fit another one while making changes to alt mounting angle. It looked straight enough. In the end I fitted a Dayco belt one size smaller than std and engine has been to 7000rpm about 15 times on the dyno since with no problems
Old 02-25-2005, 05:51   #4 (permalink)
New toy in the shed

Why are people so rapped up in putting Thermos on there car, why dont you fix the problem instead of a band aid fix. If you need to put thermos on to cool your car then you have a problem some were else,dont you think? Do you realise that in putting thermos in front of you radiator you cut down the cooling surface. Have you tried putting the original fan and shroud stock water pump and the correct clevo thermostat.
ch7472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 21:18   #5 (permalink)

if u like the noise a std fan makes thats up to u but I hated it wif a passion and my belt occasionally slipped, I also mounted mine behind the rad and it doesn't cost me hp to cool my car down.
xffairmont I don't have a digital camera to take fotos wif so the best way to chose an aftermarket fan is to measure the up down and side to side dimensions and fit the biggest fan u can, if u ring davis craig they'll tell u wat to fit over the fone. and I simply bolted the thing on and wired it up, it took bout 3 hrs(it took 30mins just to find my crimpers!)
Old 02-25-2005, 23:53   #6 (permalink)
New toy in the shed

[QUOTE=Ziggy]if u like the noise a std fan makes thats up to u but I hated it wif a passion and my belt occasionally slipped, I also mounted mine behind the rad and it doesn't cost me hp to cool my car down.

What fan noise? as for belts coming loose try to make sure that every thing lines up.
ch7472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 03:43   #7 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch7472
Why are people so rapped up in putting Thermos on there car, why dont you fix the problem instead of a band aid fix. If you need to put thermos on to cool your car then you have a problem some were else,dont you think? Do you realise that in putting thermos in front of you radiator you cut down the cooling surface. Have you tried putting the original fan and shroud stock water pump and the correct clevo thermostat.
To answer your question John

I did it to remove load from the V-belt. Otherwise the stock 7 blade fan loads up the belt and throws it. Costing me thousands of $ and risking an engine overheat due to no fan belt. It's common knowledge clevo's like to throw belts at reasonable rpm. Makes me wonder why I move away from Holdan/Chev they never had this issue. I've owned them too.

6300rpm and kiss the belts goodbye and the $ in your wallet

Brenden
Old 03-10-2005, 15:04   #8 (permalink)
XFFAIRMONT

I've got an aftermarket fan here which is lighter but doesn't draw so much air so it gets a bit hot in summer however revs don't hurt the belt as its only spinning this piddly thing. It doesn't get hot at all with the standard fan but it is a huge motha of a thing and a lot of weight and size to keep up with the pick up of revs that the motor has. The standard fan wasn'y design to be spun from 1100 to 7000 in 1 or 2seconds.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech