Ticking Noise: How to Fix - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2004, 19:06   #1 (permalink)

Ticking Noise: How to Fix

my 351 XC ute has a ticking noise coming from i think the lifters, it sounds like its running with no oil, its not that excessively noisy but its louder than it should. is there any ways to fix this (cheaply) or check that i have enough oil making its way to the lifters?
xeturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2004, 19:37   #2 (permalink)

Re: Ticking Noise: How to Fix

Check to make sure it isn't a leaky header first as this sounds a lot like a lifter and is obviously an easy fix.

If it is a stuck lifter sometimes fresh oil with an additive to free sticky lifters can work - STP make one.

If that doesn't work you will need to remove lifters and change them - not a big job. Can be done with the rocker covers removed with the right tools.
Old 08-23-2004, 22:47   #3 (permalink)
'77 XC Wagon in progress

Other than checking the oil, first thing to do is ascertain if the ticking is present at idle as well as under load. If it's only noticeable under load, then there's a good chance it might be something as simple as timing, which is pretty easy to fix as long as you're careful and make very small adjustments.

If it's the lifters that's making a racket, then your best bet is to wait for someone to give you decent instructions on how to remove and/or replace them - the only way I've done it was by tipping the motor upside down and knocking them through from the top-side of the engine and into the air... kinda hard when the engine's still in the car!

Anyway, my 302 was ticking from the drivers-side cylinder bank only, so I whipped off the rocker cover on that side and had a look - you'll need an 11mm socket for the 8 bolts that hold the cover on. Have a look to make sure that there's oil on them - if not, that might be your problem. Then, have a tug on the rockers. Try to wiggle them from side to side. If they're standard, then they're the boring looking pressed steel ones that aren't "adjustable". The advantage of simple non-adjustable rockers is that if there's any play in any of them you can give them a quick tighten without worrying about the critical nature of lash clearance. This being the case, grab your torque wrench and 13mm (or 1/2") socket and give them all a good tighten to the correct spec. Replace the rocker cover and then run the engine. If the ticking's gone, go and make a cup of tea and congratulate yourself on a job well done.

This may not work for your engine, and it might contribute to its early death... I have no evidence for or against that, but it worked for me and my engine's nice and quiet now. If it explodes tomorrow, I'll be sure to post back here and let you know. :)
Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 05:32   #4 (permalink)

thanks for the replies, ill have a look tomorrow and see what i can see the ticking is present at idle but it is only just noticeable, it gets louder with more revs, it doesnt seem to be "real" bad, but its not what it should be? is it safe to run the engine with the rocker cover off to see whats going on?
cheers john
xeturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 05:39   #5 (permalink)
Proudly Average

safe, but messy - good thing to do is butcher the top off a pair of old rocker covers, allows you to check stuff out without spreading oil everywhere.
.020 over 351 Clevo, 10:1 comp, ported 302 heads, blueprinted and balanced, custom ground cam, Edelbrock intake, 600 Holley, K&N air filter, Custom Zip-Ties(tm), MSD ignition, Genie extractors, 2 x 2.5" exhaust, 2800rpm stally, rooted C4
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech