Timing/302 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2004, 15:08   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6
Timing/302

Hi.....I have an issue with my baby-it's an ugly '80 F-150 with a 302. It runs fine but every once in a while it will backfire after turning engine off. Not overheating-replaced cooling system.....also I can't see the timing marks on the flywheel. Which way should I move it? is that counterclockwise or clockwise? Thanks, Tim
Timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-19-2004, 23:28   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: perth
Posts: 661
Re: Timing/302

The timing marks are on the harmonic balancer. If your looking into the engine bay the motor will be turning in a clockwise direction.
russxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 05:35   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6
Re: Timing/302

Quote:
Originally Posted by russxr67
The timing marks are on the harmonic balancer. If your looking into the engine bay the motor will be turning in a clockwise direction.
Thanks, but I'm trying to figure out which way to turn the distributor. Whether I want to retard or advance the timing and in which direction to turn the distributor since the indicator is broken off........Thanks, Tim
Timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 06:37   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Sydney
Posts: 80
Re: Timing/302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo2
Thanks, but I'm trying to figure out which way to turn the distributor. Whether I want to retard or advance the timing and in which direction to turn the distributor since the indicator is broken off........Thanks, Tim
There will be a few different opinions on this but from the sounds of it you will need to establish Top Dead Centre on compression stroke so that you can set the timing correctly.
You should do this first up, this will make timing checks a lot easier in the future. (PM me if you want to do this and ill give you a boring procedure to follow)
In short if you advance the timing engine idle speed will increase slightly and if you retard timing the idle speed will drop down.
I cant remember which way to turn the dizzy, its been a while.
The idle speed will tell you if you are advancing or retarding.
If the timing is to far advanced the engine may run on as you have described.
You really need to establish TDC first to do it properly.
CRUISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 07:25   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
xdclevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Cairns
Posts: 1,946
Re: Timing/302

If i had a wild guess, i would say it could be retarded. If the backfiring is really running on you may be too far advanced. I would try advancing first. To advance, turn the distributor clockwise. The revs will rise and the timing will advance. Once you have done this, turn off the motor and see if it still starts "easily". If it does, take for a drive and make sure it is not pinging(too far advanced) Still, try and remark the harmonic balancer and time correctly as someone had allready offered.
__________________
10.70 @ 125.00 on the black fun top
408 Cube Cleveland.
xdclevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 09:06   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6
Re: Timing/302

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUISIN
There will be a few different opinions on this but from the sounds of it you will need to establish Top Dead Centre on compression stroke so that you can set the timing correctly.
You should do this first up, this will make timing checks a lot easier in the future. (PM me if you want to do this and ill give you a boring procedure to follow)
In short if you advance the timing engine idle speed will increase slightly and if you retard timing the idle speed will drop down.
I cant remember which way to turn the dizzy, its been a while.
The idle speed will tell you if you are advancing or retarding.
If the timing is to far advanced the engine may run on as you have described.
You really need to establish TDC first to do it properly.
Thanks, will try........Tim
Timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 09:07   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6
Re: Timing/302

Thanks, I'll play with it and try to get the correct amt. of advance.Tim
Timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:04.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.