Timing/302 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2004, 15:08   #1 (permalink)

Timing/302

Hi.....I have an issue with my baby-it's an ugly '80 F-150 with a 302. It runs fine but every once in a while it will backfire after turning engine off. Not overheating-replaced cooling system.....also I can't see the timing marks on the flywheel. Which way should I move it? is that counterclockwise or clockwise? Thanks, Tim
Timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2004, 23:28   #2 (permalink)

Re: Timing/302

The timing marks are on the harmonic balancer. If your looking into the engine bay the motor will be turning in a clockwise direction.
russxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 05:35   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by russxr67
The timing marks are on the harmonic balancer. If your looking into the engine bay the motor will be turning in a clockwise direction.
Thanks, but I'm trying to figure out which way to turn the distributor. Whether I want to retard or advance the timing and in which direction to turn the distributor since the indicator is broken off........Thanks, Tim
Old 07-20-2004, 06:37   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo2
Thanks, but I'm trying to figure out which way to turn the distributor. Whether I want to retard or advance the timing and in which direction to turn the distributor since the indicator is broken off........Thanks, Tim
There will be a few different opinions on this but from the sounds of it you will need to establish Top Dead Centre on compression stroke so that you can set the timing correctly.
You should do this first up, this will make timing checks a lot easier in the future. (PM me if you want to do this and ill give you a boring procedure to follow)
In short if you advance the timing engine idle speed will increase slightly and if you retard timing the idle speed will drop down.
I cant remember which way to turn the dizzy, its been a while.
The idle speed will tell you if you are advancing or retarding.
If the timing is to far advanced the engine may run on as you have described.
You really need to establish TDC first to do it properly.
CRUISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 07:25   #5 (permalink)

If i had a wild guess, i would say it could be retarded. If the backfiring is really running on you may be too far advanced. I would try advancing first. To advance, turn the distributor clockwise. The revs will rise and the timing will advance. Once you have done this, turn off the motor and see if it still starts "easily". If it does, take for a drive and make sure it is not pinging(too far advanced) Still, try and remark the harmonic balancer and time correctly as someone had allready offered.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:06   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUISIN
There will be a few different opinions on this but from the sounds of it you will need to establish Top Dead Centre on compression stroke so that you can set the timing correctly.
You should do this first up, this will make timing checks a lot easier in the future. (PM me if you want to do this and ill give you a boring procedure to follow)
In short if you advance the timing engine idle speed will increase slightly and if you retard timing the idle speed will drop down.
I cant remember which way to turn the dizzy, its been a while.
The idle speed will tell you if you are advancing or retarding.
If the timing is to far advanced the engine may run on as you have described.
You really need to establish TDC first to do it properly.
Thanks, will try........Tim
Old 07-20-2004, 09:07   #7 (permalink)

Thanks, I'll play with it and try to get the correct amt. of advance.Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech