Timing Advance - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2005, 05:56   #1 (permalink)

Timing Advance

Okay this is just a general question about engine timing, but would be helpful as our XA could maybe use a new dizzy, i dunno. Generally an engines timing is advanced a couple of degrees so the fuel begins to burn before top dead centre but when you accelerate or when the engine is under load, how far should it advance? The XA's advancing only about 1 degree maybe 2 max. It's got the diaphragm with the nipple for the vacuum hose on the dizzy but the seller took it off and said you don't need cause it's an electronic dizzy. So how far should a car advance under acceleration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2005, 06:41   #2 (permalink)

Re: Timing Advance

Your static (idle) timing will be about 10* (+ or - a few). As the engine accelerates, the mechanical advance will add another 20-30* (ball park) depending on how it's setup. This should be pregressively added up to about 3000rpm. So you should have somewhere between 30-40ish total degrees advance at 3K.

When you say your engine is advancing only 1-2*, what rpm is this at? Have you tried checking it at 3000-3500?

ps: the Suzuki thing!.........can you explain the picture?!
Old 04-08-2005, 06:15   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for you info trublu, but doesn't the engine advance depending on how much you accelerate and not what rpm it is. An engine reving at 1000rpm would advance to maximum if you opened the throttle to full. I dunno, it's got the nipple for the vauum hose but the hose is nowhere to be seen. Do all dizzys use this vauum advance hose? It only advance 1 or 2 degrees right now thats nowhere near enough I think.

About the picture, which ones that, I remember doing this suzuki thing as my signature but I never see it. Explanation: Suzuki's are tough as nails and go through anything. But don't worry, I'm a ford man first...... I think.
Old 04-08-2005, 15:28   #4 (permalink)

73falcon gt,

Counterweights inside the dissy (under points plate) dictate as well how much total advance your engine will have. Distributors have (not sure if all do; only have experience with 1/2 dozen) locking screws to adjust weights.
As engine revs rise counterweights are forced out wards advancing spark.

Sometimes the weights jam (dust, oil, etc), hence little or no advance above the preset static amount.

A street engine should not have full advance at 1000 rpm. Total advance somewhere around 3-3500 rpm will work.

We used to lock up weights in dist. on drag race cars to launch the car harder i.e. 40-45 degrees at idle. The difference there though is they had high stall convertors and alcohol fuel (no pinging problems).

Hope this helps some
Jock
jock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 17:41   #5 (permalink)

Sweet, will open up dissy and check out if there's adjustment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech