Ford Forums banner

Timing Chains - JP Performance or Rollmaster

13K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  pinkbits 
#1 ·
Hey guys - going to refresh timing chain and just wondering what your opinions are on JP Performance and Rollmaster, is one better than the other or they much the same quality wise.

I have access to both - Rollmaster @ $200 and JP Performance @ $100

Cheers

#2 ·
CJR09 said:
Hey guys - going to refresh timing chain and just wondering what your opinions are on JP Performance and Rollmaster, is one better than the other or they much the same quality wise.

Cheers
I did once have a problem with the JP. One of the sprocket had bad wear right on the edge of it after approx 5000km. It was like they wern't lined up properly, but were. Since i have only used Rollmaster. I priced a few weeks ago at $80 - $90 from VPW and Rocket Indsutries. Get it airbagged on Visa anywhere and you're still ahead of the JP.

#3 ·
I've had no issues with rollmaster. I've used them in plenty of engines. Currently got 2 used rollmasters with slightly stretched chains sitting in my garage. I know you used to be able to buy new chain but I'm not sure anymore? It's been a few years. I'm keeping those for stock/mild clevo's if I can get replacement chains.

#5 ·
It would depend on a lot of things like vavlespring pressure for example. One of my sets has done 30,000k's and is slightly stretched. It was running 335lbs open for 24,000->25,000k's. The last 5000k's were done with 380lbs open minimum.

The other set I had I wouldn't know how many k's but if I had to guess I'd say around 50,000-80,000k's as it was a daily driver that travelled around Tasmania, South Australia and in the end Victoria.

#7 ·
CJR09 said:

Cheers
Rollmaster make a set with a Torrington needle roller bearing on the cam gear. Much better than just rubbing on the block. It cost about $150. No machining required.

#8 ·
tufLTD said:
Rollmaster make a set with a Torrington needle roller bearing on the cam gear. Much better than just rubbing on the block. It cost about $150. No machining required.
Yeah i did see these on the vpw site - they sound like the go - one thing about that site though, they give you the option to change currency so i did to NZ$ and it came up cheaper @$120, Aussie price was as you said $150, couldnt figure it out im sure our $1 is only like 85c your money.

Thanks to xdclevo for pointing out the site!

#9 ·
CJR09 said:
Yeah i did see these on the vpw site - they sound like the go - one thing about that site though, they give you the option to change currency so i did to NZ$ and it came up cheaper @$120, Aussie price was as you said $150, couldnt figure it out im sure our $1 is only like 85c your money.

Thanks to xdclevo for pointing out the site!
Sorry mate, the $150 was just a rough guess, it could have been $100. I can't find the invoice for it but the part number is CS3085.

#12 ·
tufLTD said:
Didn't know they did that - I ended up buying a JP Billet Set a couple of years ago and sourced a Torrington needle bearing kit for a Cleveland from "Sterling Performance" in Aus.
The Cam sprocket needed the be machined for the needle bearing kit, but it wasn't a big job.
:welder:

#13 ·
multi key cogs(adjustable timing ones) can bite in and bur the crank so becareful in selecting one of these.

They can get very bad to the point that your crank can fatique and snap.

Also I have seen excessive chain stretch over 6mths use and prefer to use gear drive's because of the chains stretching.
More accurate timing with gear drive.

Another benifit of the gear drive over the timing chain is it doesn't put the flex on the snout of the crank a timing chain does when you accelerate and back off due to the chain pulling tight and lifting the snout under acceleration.
I have had a snout on a hard reving 4.1 crossflow shear behind the crank timing cog because of this.

Its the same with supercharging as the belt does the same (alot of the big dollar blower set ups use a crank supports to stop this flexing)

I feel it's better to pay the extra for gear drive as it will out last timing chains.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.