Ford Forums banner

Timing problems.........help!

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  4Vman 
#1 ·
Tried the timing suggestion from this wonderful site to help with my hot start problem. Marked my timing mark at 6 degrees BTDC (per my manual) and put the light on it. IT IS NO WHERE NEAR THE POINTER! Looks like an inch to an inch and a half away. When I tried to move the distributor to adjust (towards drivers side looking at motor) it got closer but car died. Motor is from a Mustang (71) in a 70 Torino. Guy who rebuilt it is long gone. Could I have the wrong harmonic balancer on it? It can only go on 1 way, right? Am I doing something wrong? I am so frustrated I am ready to by a for sale sign!

#2 ·
1970351 said:
Tried the timing suggestion from this wonderful site to help with my hot start problem. Marked my timing mark at 6 degrees BTDC (per my manual) and put the light on it. IT IS NO WHERE NEAR THE POINTER! Looks like an inch to an inch and a half away. When I tried to move the distributor to adjust (towards drivers side looking at motor) it got closer but car died. Motor is from a Mustang (71) in a 70 Torino. Guy who rebuilt it is long gone. Could I have the wrong harmonic balancer on it? It can only go on 1 way, right? Am I doing something wrong? I am so frustrated I am ready to by a for sale sign!
Vac or mechanical advance? have you disconected the vac advance?
Also make sure the marker on the timing cover is the correct marker, also make sure the timing light is on no 1. Then id check the age and condition of the balancer, sometimes the outer ring slips and it throws the timing marks out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.