toploader to 351 clev conversion - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2005, 06:27   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs up toploader to 351 clev conversion

Hello fellow ford devotees
I know this is really in the wrong thread but it has got to do with clevelands.I am going to put a toploader into my 351 clevo automatic xe wagon.Can you guys tell me what i will have to do to achieve this and what i will need to buy along with the box and clutch.As I am new to this sort of thing.Thanks in adavnce. ******
xe351wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2005, 06:44   #2 (permalink)

Re: toploader to 351 clev conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by xe351wagon
Hello fellow ford devotees
I know this is really in the wrong thread but it has got to do with clevelands.I am going to put a toploader into my 351 clevo automatic xe wagon.Can you guys tell me what i will have to do to achieve this and what i will need to buy along with the box and clutch.As I am new to this sort of thing.Thanks in adavnce. ******
It is an easy conversion. I did it with my XD several years ago.
If you currently have a C4, you wont need to change the tailshaft or yolk.
You will need a master cylinder, slave cylinder and flexable line, or get a solid steel one made so it doesn't melt on the exhaust. You will also need the extended shaft for the clutch pedal to secure to. The one i used was from a 351 xb manual. I just ended up using the shaft and pedal so i didnt have to remove everything.(allthoug i did have to knock a hole in the aircon box, so i could slide the shaft in and out of the pedal box.)So oviously you dont need to replace the whole pedal assembly, but if you favour the aircon, remove it so you can do the shaft swap. I also left the nice wide brake pedal, as opposed to cutting it down to look like the "genuine" narrow brake pedal.
I coulnt run a handbrake cable, as the linkages fouled on the cable, allthough i never tried too much and went without the handbrake.
Get a good shifter, and buy a boot for the console. Sounds easy ah.
Old 05-29-2005, 06:50   #3 (permalink)

Thanks xdclevo! Yer I was thinking along the lines of hurst indy shifter.and I am thinking of taking off the console and mounting a boot on the floor. What do you think?
xe351wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 07:13   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xe351wagon
Thanks xdclevo! Yer I was thinking along the lines of hurst indy shifter.and I am thinking of taking off the console and mounting a boot on the floor. What do you think?
Its up to your preference. I personally like the XD/XE centre consoles, with std looking shifters. T-bar for auto, and Indy hurst for the toplaoder. I just bought a boot that fit nice with the centre console, and it looked like it was factory.(till i spat my clutch at 6000rpm and wrecked everything. Box and motor.)
Old 06-01-2005, 21:13   #5 (permalink)
Country Boy Rippin it up!

you will also need a spacer for the starter moter.
GTFORDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 04:17   #6 (permalink)

Also dont use a hurst indy shifter unless you dont mind the passenger change gears for you. When you put thast shifter in it is on the passenger side of the tunnel. It is a dam nuisance.
crochunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 04:38   #7 (permalink)

Ahh, the old Toploader conversion!!

Theres a few more things you'll need..............

Bellhousing ($150)
Clutch Fork ($50-100............suprisingly expensive)
Fork dust boot ($65 rare spares RIPOFF!)
Spigot or Pilot bearing ($10)
Throwout of Release bearing ($45)
Manual Flywheel & bolts
Clutch pressure plate and disc (and bolts)
Reverse light switch/wiring
SPEEDO sender cog for TOPLOADER (auto one will eat your internal splines)
Gearbox Oil

Other consids...........

SPEEDO: look inside the extension housing hole where the speedo sender goes. Look at the condition of the black cog on the outputshaft and make sure the splines aren't damaged (spin the shaft 360*). Easy to fix now than on the car. Your C4 electronic sender will fit, but again, get a toploader cog.

Your auto starter will need a spacer as mentioned. If you were going to replace it, then you can buy a specific MANUAL starter that doesn't need the spacer.

I still used my AUTO console. Just cut a bigger hole in it and made a custom boot cover. The boot to the floor looks average. See pic.

Can buy a complete manual pedal box from the wreckers. I think the shaft is longer on the manual box for the clutch pedal. Simply swap shafts and fit the pedal. I got rid of the FAT auto rubber brake pedal with an angle grinder.

Hand Brake: Yes, it will foul on the bottom of the gearbox and linkages. On the under body of the car, just to the left of the gearbox is a metal bracket where then cable attaches before it turns to the back of the car. Unclip the cable and get some steel s drill and a hacksaw and make a stiff extension to lower the cable. (about 1 to 1.5" is all you'll need). Bolt it to the original hole and cut a new hole for the cable to sit.

So, thats about it for now!!

Buy your local trading post and start collecting! The wreckers can get pricey.

Any more Q's............fire away.

Bracket extension. Just above left extractor.

Console pic

Old 06-02-2005, 05:06   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crochunter
Also dont use a hurst indy shifter unless you dont mind the passenger change gears for you. When you put thast shifter in it is on the passenger side of the tunnel. It is a dam nuisance.
No need to do that. Mine uses the standard console. See the following links for details:

http://www.fordforums.com/attachment...chmentid=24731

http://www.fordforums.com/attachment...chmentid=24730

http://www.fordforums.com/attachment...chmentid=24729

http://www.fordforums.com/attachment...chmentid=24727

http://www.fordforums.com/attachment...chmentid=24728

http://www.fordforums.com/attachment...chmentid=24726
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 06:26   #9 (permalink)

Oh, and you'll need a sandwich plate.

That's the thin piece of steel that fits between the flywheel and block. Your auto has one, but the bumps on it will foul on the manual flywheel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech