Turbo 351 Cleveland pistons - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2007, 19:00   #1 (permalink)

Turbo 351 Cleveland pistons

G'day all,

I'm working on a little project at the moment. It's a 351c OC 2v heads running straight LPG, single T70 Turbo, air-air intercooler, 2 x converters, & 2 x impco 425 mixers on a blow through set up. Crank and Rods are std 351, and I hope to be running +/- 15psi boost.

Does anyone have a tip on what pistons I could run to get the comp. rat. down to around 7.5:1 - 8:1?

The set up will be running in a XB panelvan backed up by a top loader and 3.7:1 9"

Cheers,
Sam.
sammygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2007, 01:49   #2 (permalink)

Re: Turbo 351 Cleveland pistons

Start with a TRW forged flat top and machine it down to get your desired compression ratio. TRW used to offer a dish top 8:1 piston. I have one in my shed and it uses the same blank as the flat top. TRW just machined a dish into it. If you machine a flat top down (keeping it as a flat top) you will be able to get 7.5:1 easily without machinging any more off the piston than what TRW used to do. I've run a set of these in a supercharged cleveland and they held up just fine.
xafalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 02:23   #3 (permalink)

Excellent mate, thanks for the tip!

I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 05-12-2007, 22:11   #4 (permalink)

hi sammygt,
IMO i would suggest giving the TRW's a miss for a supercharged or turbo application.
They have somewhat of a reputation of craking around the skirt, due to their oil hole design. They have rectangular oil holes and tend to crack in the corners. Look at the higher end aftermarket pistons like JE, Ross or Arias and you'll notice they have oval shaped oil holes, not rectangular ones.

Cheers
gus351
gus351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 11:48   #5 (permalink)
Eliminator

WHERE ARE YOU PEOPLE GETTING THESE MANIFOLDS?! just wondering b/c i would love to Turbo or even tt my car =] figured manifolds werent worth the trouble of making and i'd just got kenne bell some day.

Torque it's whats for dinner.
70_cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 19:54   #6 (permalink)

I'm not doing anything exotic with the manifolds, just using the cast log type and turning them around to face the front of the engine. From there I'm just making up some tubes to join the 2 outlets to the turbo.
Old 05-14-2007, 22:01   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammygt
G'day all,

I'm working on a little project at the moment. It's a 351c OC 2v heads running straight LPG, single T70 Turbo, air-air intercooler, 2 x converters, & 2 x impco 425 mixers on a blow through set up. Crank and Rods are std 351, and I hope to be running +/- 15psi boost.

Does anyone have a tip on what pistons I could run to get the comp. rat. down to around 7.5:1 - 8:1?

The set up will be running in a XB panelvan backed up by a top loader and 3.7:1 9"

Cheers,
Sam.
It might be worth considering a set of carillo h pattern rods at 15lb's
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:54   #8 (permalink)

Do you think Carillo's would be overkill? I was just thinking of checking out the std rods and going for some ARP bolts. I wont be spinning it up much past 5000rpm.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:43   #9 (permalink)

Gday mate I want to turbo my stroker any chance you have diagrammes or pictures of modifications to engine Im a fitter/fabricator so Im looking at doing custom work myself any help would be awesome
Cheers
Fatfairlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:45   #10 (permalink)

How hard is it to turn around the manifolds?redrilling?
Fatfairlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech