Turbo 6 or 351 Clevo? Cant decide - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2003, 23:55   #1 (permalink)

Turbo 6 or 351 Clevo? Cant decide

G'day all

Got a new car a few weeks ago. It is a xe fairmont ghia with carby 250 and BW auto.

I am going to start saving up for a new motor for it soon but the problem is i cant decide what to go for. 2 options are turbo inline 6 of some description or a 351 clevo. Either option i want to run on straight lpg and have it make around 350hp. Also it must be reliable for a daily driver

For the turbo i would either buy a late xf block and slowly build it up as i get money with a crank from a ef (ive heard these fit and are good) ACL pistons and some new bearings etc or buy a ea or eb motor. Turbo selection and manifold design arent a problem as ive been talking to people who can help me out with this.

I have read alot lately about how simple turbo on lpg is and also how cheap it can be but i know there are alot of people who are always saying how they can do a whole turbo setup dirt cheap but they never show any results. What is a ball park figure for everyhitng needed for turbo? Using sec hand t04, sec hand impco or GRA converter and mixer, tank etc. I/C or water injection, custom manifold, wastegate, oil line to turbo... What else would i need? Fuel pump upgrade, regulator?

The 351 clevo option would be the usual rebuilt mild motor. 2v closed chamber heads with around 10.5:1 comp, gas cam, twin mixer converter, decent intake manifold, and all the other usuals. Good exhaust with extractors etc.

So after all that useless info that everyone already knows what i would like help with is some realistic prices and ideas, thoughts, experiences and just anyhitng on the subject.

I'm not trying to start a turbo versus v8 performance argument i am more interested in learning if they both fall into the same cost category for the required 350hp.

I dont have a garage so cant do anyhthing semi major at home so keep in mind all these things i would be paying someone to do.

It would obvioulsy be easiest to by a complete motor in either configuration already built and tuned and just place it in. I know this would be easy to do with the v8 option as you can score a nice low k's rebuilt clevo from the trading post for a good price. But turbo'd ford 6's dont come up for sale all that often.

OK thats it let the fun begin.

THanks

Aaron

(sorry i havent planned this post out into a nice essay format, just typing as it comes into my head)
xespack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2003, 00:46   #2 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Good luck finding a second hand T4.. But for economy I'd go turbo six but for reliability keep it under say? 10 Lp.With good fuel system as in pump and injectors to prevent detonation the killer in blown engines.Look around for an AU they look like they have VERY good bottom ends...Should have 220 rwkw easy...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 00:58   #3 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

That's a hard decision to make!!!

Personally, as much as I love the 351c... a Turbo 6 on the street would be fantastic.

What would a new/reco T04 be worth?
Old 04-02-2003, 01:02   #4 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Ahh bit more than $2k..new...

What sh!ts me though we replaced a turbo on a Scania truck at work it was $1200 new and $900 overhauled...Grrrr!!!!!
R.I.P Possum...
Old 04-02-2003, 01:29   #5 (permalink)

ebxr8, which ever way i go it will have to run on stright lpg so detonation should'nt be too much of a problem. This should provide better economy and also make the whole thing heaps more simple. I'm not a big fan of computers and a million wires and sensors!! I know a quality after market computer is the best for tuning turbo and getting big number but as i only want 350hp i would imagine the simple gas setup should be fine? Am i dreaminng here?

In my first post when i mentioned fuel pump and regulator i mean for the gas system. I dont know much about it. How does the gas get from the tank to motor with gas? Is there some sort of pump at the tank or does the converter suck it up from the tank somehow? (i know its in liquid form until after the converter) Would i need some sort of performance gas tank or something? (sorry please excuse my ignorance when it comes to lpg)

Aaron
Old 04-02-2003, 03:34   #6 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Yes you are right. What I should have said was make sure your fuel is up to it. Even on LPG.Someone will chime in here there is a LPG Co. down Melb that does LPG- Turbo or forced induction kits they look good too...
R.I.P Possum...
Old 04-02-2003, 10:03   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by xespack
How does the gas get from the tank to motor with gas? Is there some sort of pump at the tank or does the converter suck it up from the tank somehow? (i know its in liquid form until after the converter) Would i need some sort of performance gas tank or something? (sorry please excuse my ignorance when it comes to lpg)
Aaron

The LPG is under pressure, that's all it is.
Old 04-02-2003, 14:57   #8 (permalink)

I'd go the 351. Probably easier, cheaper and less stress on the motor to get that sort of HP. You would need to upgrade the rest of your drivetrain, but you would have to do that anyhow for a turbo six. Or you could wait until someone writes of a BA XR6T and buy that motor and slot it in your XE.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 16:57   #9 (permalink)
Ford Member

The turboed 6 will make the power very easily, just build it up with a strong bottom end, decent flowing heads, and enough boost. (mmmm boooooost) BUT for areal pleasures, you can't beat the sound of a worked 351c being put through its paces!

The choice is really yours..what would you prefer and/or afford
hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 17:11   #10 (permalink)

Well i cant decide what i want more thats the problem...

As far as costs go i thought for around 3k i should be able to do both?

Is this realistic?
I know i can get a 351 with about this much power from the trading post complete from radiator to diff for about that but the turbo is another story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech