Ford Forums banner

Twin Thermals

26K views 81 replies 26 participants last post by  Aussiblue 
#1 ·
Removed stock fan from my 78 ZH fairlane & fitted 16" Ice Thermal fan (pushing thru radiator). No drama yet, i.e. doesnt overheat, but see bigger temperature variation in traffic and low speed driving ( 160 deg high flow thermostat, high flow water pump, new 3 core rad.), and summers a commin.
Believe twin thermals from AU may be a better bet. Anyone know if these fit ZH's on engine side? will additional cowling be required?
Alecz

Attachments

See less See more
#77 ·
Update: Once I put a new radiator in it worked fine. Only problem was my alternator isn't up to driving three fans in mid summer in Perth with air con on max etc (I had another Davis Craig Thermo fan in from of the radiator in addition to the Ford EF twin thermos as one quirk of the NB is has a skightly different colling system plumbing including a formed narrower bypass hose under the inlet manifold than NA or NC and it always got a bit too hot with even the clutch fan) - I have found I no longer need this third fan and just use the twins and the alternator copes (albeit just in mid summer).

#78 ·
alecz said:
Was forced to refit stock engine fan, ICE thermal couldnt hack it on a hot day ( not much better on a cool day either-they really are crap ), have ordered twim AU's, which should do the trick. Nothing wrong with stock engine fan though, just dont like all that wasted energy to spin it at high revs. Might even leave the crap ICE fan on (push) when I fit the twin AU's, just to see the affect of a "menage a trois"
Alecz
just a note on this, if the AU fans are up to it,whichit sounds like they will be, i'd remove the other one, i am no expert but did try research this a bit myself,and you'll be better off removing it as it could impede the clean airflow to the radiator. i have been messing around trying to get a 16 inch fan to cool my cleveland,as mustang radiators are squarish and twins wont fit, have tried several brands and no good, have most recently added two tens across the front, this is cooling better in traffic but still not good enough and is actually a bit worse at speed, its blocking the flow of (the quite narrow) radiator, although your falcon radiator might not suffer so much as it is wider. i'll try find some links i had that explain the airflow well

good luck with the AU's

scott

#79 ·
Just on this topic, for any that are unsure on wiring, heres a wiring diagram to connect dual fans, with independant fusible links and relays.
Be sure to use adequately rated wire and fusible links (1.0mm2 which is usually a back fusible link) Do Not use glass, ceramic or blade fuses as they will melt, and fail, possibly overheating the engine.
To trigger each fan independantly, install one trigger switch or temp switch for each relay, providing the ground return path for the relay coil.

Link to Diagram

#82 ·
BTW I used these switches on both my NB and NC Fairlane to drive twin thermos fans and they are still going OK. No corrosion issues with the aluminium channel on the original copper/brass radiator as another poster suggested either (and we have probably all moved to aluminium radiators now anyway) ; the heatsink compound paste I put between the aluminium channel and the top of the radiator may have provided the required protection

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.