Urgent!! Can a stock 351C spin the back wheels? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2003, 06:04   #1 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

Urgent!! Can a stock 351C spin the back wheels?

Im having a 351 cleveland installed into my car by next week and i need to know if a stock 351 with a C4 auto can bag them up?

My car is currently a 6 cyl manual and i can either opt to keep my gearbox or convert to a C4 auto which im told will handle the cleveland's power and torque much better. I doubt i would be really kind to single rail. Both options are the same price. I am ordering the parts in the morning.

But if the auto wont let me smoke the back wheels then ill definately keep my manual. All my mates are commodore drivers so i think you guys know where im coming from here.
I have a single spinner 2.92 diff running 235 17 inch tyres.

So everyone with a clevo what is the verdict?

Thanks guys
Dan
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2003, 16:45   #2 (permalink)
Fords biggest Freak

Re: Urgent!! Can a stock 351C spin the back wheels?

My XF is a 4.1 carby thats done 260,000 kays. It's only got a 3 speed auto in it and that bags up alright. I wasn't driving it though, my bro was. Just need to work both the brakes and accelerator at the same time. You'll get used to it. It's a little easier if you have rear drum brakes, I have rear disc and they grip too much. I'm running 225 x 15's on the rear and the same diff as you.
Old 10-09-2003, 17:27   #3 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

Yeah, I know how to bag them up, but some cars cant. My mums and dad's EA cant. My old ED could and so could my Dad's old EA before i blew his tranny.

I wasnt sure bout a 351 clevo cos stock they dont that much power stock.

Cheers
Dan
Old 10-09-2003, 18:03   #4 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

Clevo's are a hell of a lot torqyer in standard for than a 5.0ltr efi EB in standard form. I used to have an XC GS Fairmont which I converted from 6 to an 8 and all the 8 was a 351, towing cam, tuned extractors, 600 holley vac, and on lpg and she used to get a bit sideways at the lights with a 2.92 lsd no worries. Clevo's a renowned for bottom end torque in their standard street setup. I cant do that anymore with the XR8 at the lights but with the speed and revs pick up, watch out. In some ways I miss the ol clevo, she was a good donk! The clevo is way more torquey than a EA6 imo.
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 20:22   #5 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: Urgent!! Can a stock 351C spin the back wheels?

My 75 LTD towncar can spin the back wheels from take off. The only modifications it has got is electronic ignition (this made a huge difference) and stainless steel valves for unleaded. Got the 351 c with fmx auto & 9 inch diff. I can't remember the ratio off the top of my head. Uses motorcraft 4300 carby with standard air filter, standard rockers, standard exhaust manifolds etc.

If I accelerate to hard off the lights, the back wheels spin and I go sideways. I haven't smoked up the back tyres though. (After petrol there isn't much left over for new rubber!) Hope this helps.

Azraelder
azraelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 20:24   #6 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Of course they can ! Hell my old X.D ex chaser with 2.7 final drive/FMX would lightem up in second.The only varaition from std was Benny Gatt ported heads and higher compression, long tubes..Easy !!!! 235/60 15's..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 14:25   #7 (permalink)

my AU 6cyl dows burnouts, my G/F's Sigma does burnouts.... my G/F's moms daewoo does burnouts.....

maybe you are not trying hard enough?
ir33t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 23:45   #8 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

Yeah my mini can smoke them up too. Trust me I am trying in my parents cars. Im sure there are a few here with old Ea's and XF 3 speed auto's that struggle without help with alternative methods in the dry.

Cheers guys.
The engine is being delivered monday so hopefully by the end of the week Ill have a 351C powered XF.

Dan
Old 10-11-2003, 17:37   #9 (permalink)
Bucknaked Is My Real Name

My lawn mower smokes it up. Especially when I hit a high spot in the lawn.
bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech