vacuum secondary.. WTF? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2004, 01:52   #1 (permalink)

vacuum secondary.. WTF?

Hi all

Just took my carby off this arve and checked the vacuum diapraghm cause the secondary throats were'nt opening. it seemed fine and it good condition, except the little cork seal where the vacuum diapragm unit connects looked a bit ratty. Replaced it and put it all back together. Chucked her on and still not secondary throats i was getting rather annoyed with it so i left it there for about an hour. Came back and made a bracket (screw thing) that went on the trailing arm of the secondary throats. Turned her on and ROARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR it was un f)ckinbelievable... Took it around the block.. spins through up second now, where as before it was barely getting enough juice to burn up the tyres. It has freaked me out and now revs to 5000rpm really easy with plenty of strong solid power to shift point (5000-5100rpm)

I now have a nice strong clevo that dusts off a VX V6 with pacemakcer extractors and 2.5" exhaust.. Im very stoked

If they made a 4548 holly DP version, and i put it on, it probably wouldnt go as good as my vac sec... Its a freak!
Leaks
Dents and;
Engine
Noise

FOR SALE: 1980 XD, Recently rebuilt 9" disc diff, with 3.25 gears, toploader with hurst shifter kit, 302C, DBA slotted and cross driled rotors, Fairmont interior with modified centre console, jellybean mags, reasonably good condition, driveline will handle 400+rwhp PM FOR PICS asking $3500
XDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2004, 02:14   #2 (permalink)

Re: vacuum secondary.. WTF?

You may have a hole in the diaphragm.cheap to replace.bought one for 16 bucks two weeks ago.replace the cork with an o, ring.
russxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 03:28   #3 (permalink)

Best thing I ever did to my 750 vacuum secondary was turn it into a mechanical secondary same as you did. Much more responsive.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:43   #4 (permalink)

Now imagine if you'd sold it last weekend!!
Old 07-12-2004, 21:12   #5 (permalink)

hahahah yes very true... Im going to keep it so yeh.. its gonna be a turbo 6 pot in the not too distant future. Responciveness is much better, goes alot harder.. its good to see you do one thing on a carb for such a drastic change.
Leaks
Dents and;
Engine
Noise

FOR SALE: 1980 XD, Recently rebuilt 9" disc diff, with 3.25 gears, toploader with hurst shifter kit, 302C, DBA slotted and cross driled rotors, Fairmont interior with modified centre console, jellybean mags, reasonably good condition, driveline will handle 400+rwhp PM FOR PICS asking $3500
Old 07-12-2004, 22:19   #6 (permalink)

Don't forget to get that turbo so she makes cool sounds changing gears mate..
Old 07-12-2004, 22:50   #7 (permalink)

hahahahahahahah yeh i will do... make sure its nice n ricey... well not too ricey of course
Leaks
Dents and;
Engine
Noise

Old 07-12-2004, 23:59   #8 (permalink)
Death by Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKEXD
Best thing I ever did to my 750 vacuum secondary was turn it into a mechanical secondary same as you did. Much more responsive.
How do you do that? I once removed the v/sec control rod and tied the v/sec wide open with wire, but it made sweet FA difference IMO.

To XDman: By the way, you can't tell if the v/sec are working by revving the motor while the car is parked in neutral(sorry if you already know that).
CLEVELAND JUNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 00:22   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEVLAND JUNKY
How do you do that? I once removed the v/sec control rod and tied the v/sec wide open with wire, but it made sweet FA difference IMO.

To XDman: By the way, you can't tell if the v/sec are working by revving the motor while the car is parked in neutral(sorry if you already know that).
Used a screw to wedge open secondary swing arm where the rod fits in the slot so secondary butterfly's when primaries reached about 1/2 opening. Crude but effective.
Old 07-13-2004, 01:45   #10 (permalink)
Death by Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKEXD
Used a screw to wedge open secondary swing arm where the rod fits in the slot so secondary butterfly's when primaries reached about 1/2 opening. Crude but effective.
Ok, so as long as i time the secondaries to open when the primaries are about 1/2 way im good to go, makes sense. I will give it a try and see how it runs. I could always try different opening rates to see which one is best.

I often think that maybe my 750vs holley is a little big for my mild 351, giving it poor vacuum and as a result not pulling the v/s all the way open .
CLEVELAND JUNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech