vapourlock on xe351 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2005, 00:48   #1 (permalink)
badxe

vapourlock on xe351

hi there i seem to be having some probs with the carb on hotter days , its alright on the open road , but when your in town idling around and give it the boot it will go alright for 7-8 seconds and then starve for fuel , its not a fuel pump or line prob as it is fine when thrashing the hang out of it on the track , im picking the carbs getting too hot idling around and locking. has anyone struck this before and if so what have they done to lessen the effect or stop it , your inputs are appreciated
badxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2005, 01:48   #2 (permalink)

Re: vapourlock on xe351

With flames like that coming from under your bonnet, there's probably more to the problem that vapour lock

I got this a lot in my XD on hot days with my older carb/manifold setup. I'd let it sit for a few minutes, then it would be AOK.

The one key thing to help you is a carb spacer. This stops the heat transfer between the manifold and carb, therefore reducing fuel heat/boil and the resulting vapour lock.

DON'T use an aluminium or metal spacer as these conduct the heat really well! The best spacers are made from plastic or wood. I don't recommend you whip one up out of chip board!! Look on "ebay motors", I picked up a new four hole 2" job for US$22 +p/h. With your bonnet clearance, you'd probably be best suited to a 1" tall one.

Vapour lock gone.
Old 02-15-2005, 16:55   #3 (permalink)

I think holley do a card bord type one that is realy thin (only about 5 or 10mm) could try one of those first.
Old 02-15-2005, 17:18   #4 (permalink)

ur fuel line mite run near ur extractors and on hot days it may be shrinkin ur fuel line making less fuel getting thruogh and making it starve........but this is only a guess
Old 02-19-2005, 22:06   #5 (permalink)

i had a problem like frdpwr suggested on th xd
the 351 was where a 4.1 should have been
the 4.1 fuel line originally came in the engine bay behind the wheel
the v8 line should come in in front of the wheel
nobody changed this when doing the engine swap and it would boil the fuel every now and then and pose a bit of trouble , it took me about a month to figure it out
pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech