Wanted - 9" Detroit Locker - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2006, 21:08   #1 (permalink)

Wanted - 9" Detroit Locker

Hi Guys,

I'm after a Detroit Locker for my Coupe, posted thread here as thought I'd have more chance, will to pay the right $$ for a good unit.

Gears ranging from 3.5 to 3.9 considered. Either 28 or 31 spline.

EDIT - Only need the centre, not the complete housing.

Cheers
Craig
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2006, 21:36   #2 (permalink)
82XE 351c

Re: Wanted - 9" Detroit Locker

you looked at a tru trac? i love mine! So smooth around courners but still locks up real nice :)
pracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 21:51   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pracy
you looked at a tru trac? i love mine! So smooth around courners but still locks up real nice :)

Yep looked into the tru trac, but from my understanding they are still similiar to an LSD with clutches, etc.... Both are around the same price but I think the Locker will suit me better in the long run.

The reason for the change is I killed my LSD again a WSID on the weekend.
Did improve slightly on my time with a 13.122 @104.5mph but the lsd was already suffed. Also stinking hot day 35deg+ did not help...Still I managed 28 runs and drove home. Mostly spent time changing a different rpm's to see the effect... had a top day.
Old 02-20-2006, 23:58   #4 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

I've got a question for you? How do you hurt an LSD? How old was it? What symptoms did it have?

The reason I ask is I can't hurt mine. A engine has been replaced and the LSD is still working as it should coming on 6 years later.

[edit]just noted 28 runs! You and I must think alike. I had around 20 runs @ the All Ford nationals I figure hell I'll just keep running otherwise I'll get bored.
Old 02-21-2006, 00:21   #5 (permalink)

I've had similar dramas, gone through 2 lots of clutches in a few years. It sometimes turns into a single spinner at the start of a burnout at the drags, I think it has a lot to do with who sets it up, obviously brenx who ever did yours got it right.
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 00:25   #6 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vxc
I've had similar dramas, gone through 2 lots of clutches in a few years. It sometimes turns into a single spinner at the start of a burnout at the drags, I think it has a lot to do with who sets it up, obviously brenx who ever did yours got it right.
Surprises the hell out of me as he got nothing else right I supplied all the parts though so I knew what went in. $500 in parts + $200 labour.
Old 02-21-2006, 00:27   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Yep, that's it exactly.....Spinning for 1/2 track may look ok to some people but its not my idea of fun.
Old 02-21-2006, 00:34   #8 (permalink)

count yourself as lucky brenx, mine only plays up on the burnout still launches and hooks up well. Have spoken to the diff guy 1st fix was some additive made by Ford...result nothing. 2nd fix was to do 6 full lock circles both directions for some reason...result nothing.
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 00:47   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
count yourself as lucky brenx
Lucky is the word
Many years ago i went through a quite a few new LSD diffs real quick, so in went the mini spool, and 10? years on i think, still going 2 wheels. brenx mustn't cut loose too often ah?
xdclevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 01:16   #10 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdclevo
Lucky is the word
Many years ago i went through a quite a few new LSD diffs real quick, so in went the mini spool, and 10? years on i think, still going 2 wheels. brenx mustn't cut loose too often ah?
Only time I cut loose is on the strip. No need on the street. Over taking powers plenty.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech