water in cylnder - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2005, 00:52   #1 (permalink)
under thumb

water in cylnder

I just pulled the head off the 5-8 bank on the XY and im stumped!

1; #5 filled up with water last weekend to the brim after 3 days of not being used.

2; water in the sump real bad. enough to turn it white!!

3; no the head gasket isnt blown checked that 1st thing when I lifted off head.

the heads have been taken back to the local head guy who ported them originaly to be pressure tested on monday for cracks in the ports but if thats the case why did the sump fill up? surely cant get that much past the rings!

Im at wits end with this money pit
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2005, 01:12   #2 (permalink)

Re: water in cylnder

Split bore (hopefully not)? Turn motor over to expose all of #5 cylinder. Have real close look at cylinder walls.

What's your engine bored out to? Have you been flogging it ?

Possible head cracked like you mentioned.

Was the cylinder full of water before you pulled the head? or did the excess water in the head/block fill it up when you removed the head? It's not going to turn ever with a full cylinder of water..........bending conrod stuff.

Check the head surface for being square. Is it warped? Was the head torqued down OK?

If it did fill up as you removed the head.........check the timing chain cover plate behind the water pump. They can rust out with microscopic holes and under pressure water will be forced into the sump.

I'd say it's possible to get some water passed the rings..........especially if its been sitting a while. It doesn't take much water to turn the oil milky (been there )

Is there any water up in the valley/lifter/rocker area? ie: have you been pumping milky oil around the engine for a while?

Hopefully its an easy fix for you.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:32   #3 (permalink)
under thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBlu351
Split bore (hopefully not)? Turn motor over to expose all of #5 cylinder. Have real close look at cylinder walls.

What's your engine bored out to? Have you been flogging it ?

Possible head cracked like you mentioned.

Was the cylinder full of water before you pulled the head? or did the excess water in the head/block fill it up when you removed the head? It's not going to turn ever with a full cylinder of water..........bending conrod stuff.

Check the head surface for being square. Is it warped? Was the head torqued down OK?

If it did fill up as you removed the head.........check the timing chain cover plate behind the water pump. They can rust out with microscopic holes and under pressure water will be forced into the sump.

I'd say it's possible to get some water passed the rings..........especially if its been sitting a while. It doesn't take much water to turn the oil milky (been there )

Is there any water up in the valley/lifter/rocker area? ie: have you been pumping milky oil around the engine for a while?

Hopefully its an easy fix for you.

its 40th over and ran fine for 3weeks and just turned to shit overnite or 3 days if you look at it. I only hammer it on the way home from work! its too loud at 1-30am

wasnt a gasket problem I triad to start it last monday morning and thought the starter was shot! I took off dizz cap when I got home and was pointing an #5 so took plug out and whala coolant and lots of it!

And yeah milky s**t oil all through engine but wasnt there monday when I checked maybe it was just not mixed in as it hadnt been started yet
Old 04-08-2005, 01:45   #4 (permalink)

Hmmmm.............have a look at the bore and let us know what you find.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:49   #5 (permalink)
Approach with caution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyfmtjoe
its 40th over and ran fine for 3weeks and just turned to shit overnite or 3 days if you look at it. I only hammer it on the way home from work! its too loud at 1-30am

wasnt a gasket problem I triad to start it last monday morning and thought the starter was shot! I took off dizz cap when I got home and was pointing an #5 so took plug out and whala coolant and lots of it!

And yeah milky s**t oil all through engine but wasnt there monday when I checked maybe it was just not mixed in as it hadnt been started yet
My bet is split bore, 40" is allot for some clevelands, it probably wont be all that obvious to the eye as the rings will "hone" the joint, run your finger around the bore, you will probably feel the split.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:04   #6 (permalink)
under thumb

yeah ill get onto it first thing in the morning.

If its a bore ive got another couple of blocks and a set of 30th trw forgies and this engine has got polished and peened rods and some other good gear in it and a buddy of mine has got a NOS kit thats been under his bench for about 10yrs just got to get him on the turps and talk him into selling it

Any one know rough cost to bore,tank,deck,balance hone to size ect ect and someone in SE SA or west Vic that do a good job?
Old 04-08-2005, 02:07   #7 (permalink)
Approach with caution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyfmtjoe
yeah ill get onto it first thing in the morning.

If its a bore ive got another couple of blocks and a set of 30th trw forgies and this engine has got polished and peened rods and some other good gear in it and a buddy of mine has got a NOS kit thats been under his bench for about 10yrs just got to get him on the turps and talk him into selling it

Any one know rough cost to bore,tank,deck,balance hone to size ect ect and someone in SE SA or west Vic that do a good job?
Try Portland engines, i hear they do good work, allow at least $800 to test clean and prep a block properly.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:53   #8 (permalink)
Injection is nice But

Have you found a crack in the Bore.

Why don't you fill the cylinder with WATER food dye mixture & have the piston at the bottom of the bore . Leave it over night.

The food dye will help you outline a crack in the bore. If thats the problem

But I agree 40" is a no no for a high reving clevland to be bored 40" th

Without sonic testing.

Brett
BAGTHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 03:11   #9 (permalink)
under thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAGTHO
Have you found a crack in the Bore.

Why don't you fill the cylinder with WATER food dye mixture & have the piston at the bottom of the bore . Leave it over night.

The food dye will help you outline a crack in the bore. If thats the problem

But I agree 40" is a no no for a high reving clevland to be bored 40" th

Without sonic testing.

Brett
I dont have a light in the driveway and the shed is full of ute so it will have to wait untill morning!

Im thinking it maybe the bore the engine sat aroung for 6yrs in the car when I bought it as a writeoff and it had water not coolant in it!

I do agree with not boring 40th so work is on the way with some grout to help the next one! hell bugger it may aswell just stroke it while im there if I can talk the cook into it
Old 04-08-2005, 19:07   #10 (permalink)
under thumb

Well ive had a look at the bore and a good look around to no avail I cant see or feel anything.

If it is how easy should it be to spot? im about to try the food dye idea and wait a couple of hours I guess. failing that ill have to wait to hear from the head guy on monday
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech