Well the engine is almost out. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2005, 04:59   #1 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Well the engine is almost out.

I started @ 8pm. I have 4 convertor bolts, 2 bell housing bolts, 1 earth strap, 2 engine mount bolts and it's ready to lift out. Guestimate of another hour to go but it's bourbon o-clock at the moment.

Just got to get ahold of an engine stand and I can pull it apart and figure out why it was smoking and what condition the rest of it's in.
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2005, 05:04   #2 (permalink)

Re: Well the engine is almost out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
I started @ 8pm. I have 4 convertor bolts, 2 bell housing bolts, 1 earth strap, 2 engine mount bolts and it's ready to lift out. Guestimate of another hour to go but it's bourbon o-clock at the moment.

Just got to get ahold of an engine stand and I can pull it apart and figure out why it was smoking and what condition the rest of it's in.
they have got you going havent they, at least your converter will be there when you refitt the mtr killing two birds with one stone.hopefully you can get away with a set of rings and a qiuk hone
reece1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 05:08   #3 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

I hope so. Two things I don't like. People talking down about a car they know very little about. The other is talking about me of whom they don't know very well. I'm a motivated person who doesn't like to screw around. If the $ are there? I'll have this engine in the same day the machinings completed.

[edit]I know XA/B/C series Falcons like the back of my hand. I do it all on myself. I don't need to have people around to help. It does come in handy though As normally I'm a lazy arse. I like racing the XB too much to be lazy.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:12   #4 (permalink)

Good luck with it Brenx. Dont too much.
crochunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 05:12   #5 (permalink)

biggrin Re: Well the engine is almost out.

Quote:
I hope so. Two things I don't like. People talking down about a car they know very little about. The other is talking about me of whom they don't know very well. I'm a motivated person who doesn't like to screw around. If the $ are there? I'll have this engine in the same day the machinings completed.
good on ya mate, chin up who gives a rats what anyone thinks anyhow. if everyone was of the same opinion life would get boring real kwik.
did you end up getting a new converter yet?
Old 08-31-2005, 05:15   #6 (permalink)
The Deputy Dogg.

Jees brenx, were do you get the motor-vation hehehe
Old 08-31-2005, 05:21   #7 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Yup, thats how I went from 12.2 (glide) -> 11.85. The coughing and spluttering off the line was caused by the convertor. Upped the stall speed. A little lower than Phil @ TCE wanted but it works. I told him do what you need to do and make it work but he still opted for a little less rpm. He recommended 5700rpm as a race only convertor. I think 5700rpm would have been fine but hey I'm no expert when it comes to convertors.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:27   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Yup, thats how I went from 12.2 (glide) -> 11.85. The coughing and spluttering off the line was caused by the convertor. Upped the stall speed. A little lower than Phil @ TCE wanted but it works. I told him do what you need to do and make it work but he still opted for a little less rpm. He recommended 5700rpm as a race only convertor.
so youve already replaced the first one you had with the glide have you. so what size did you end up with. is this your quikest time so far with the car
Old 08-31-2005, 05:29   #9 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by reece1
so youve already replaced the first one you had with the glide have you. so what size did you end up with. is this your quikest time so far with the car
Phil told me it'd stall between 5200-5500rpm. Most I've seen so far is a 5200rpm flash. 5000rpm on the transbrake. Yes so far thats the quickest time and the funniest smoke wise.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:35   #10 (permalink)

biggrin Re: Well the engine is almost out.

Quote:
Phil told me it'd stall between 5200-5500rpm. Most I've seen so far is a 5200rpm flash. 5000rpm on the transbrake. Yes so far thats the quickest time and the funniest smoke wise.
have you got any pics of it leaving the line. how does it pull cruising around 2-3 gees or higher.what sort of oil are you using in the trans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech