What 4 bolt is this? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2005, 03:00   #1 (permalink)
ESP Man

confused What 4 bolt is this?

Had a look at a 4 bolt main block with no engine number.

It is said to have race car team origins - possibly the Big M team and the block could be a USA import. As far as I can tell its a 351 block ( has 4MA crank) but no extra webbing or meat down the sides above the sump rails - so its not a Nascar block.

It has the following casting numbers :-

D2AE-CA with 2C29 below.

The 1st number could be DZAE-CA and the number below could be 2G29 or 2029.

It is as new (no rust in water galleries) but has been run and threw a rod with minor damage to bottom of bore on one cylinder but this would not affect its usability or need repair. Bore is said to be original

Can anyone throw any light on this? Any ideas on value? Also, what is the 4MA worth (still original size)
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2005, 04:28   #2 (permalink)

Re: What 4 bolt is this?

d2ae-ca is a cj or boss block - i havnt got my bookiat the moment which would explain everything
cant tell you a price but id use it instead of a local block especially if its on its first bore
i get my 4ma's for 200 bucks b ut then i get them cleaned up and balanced with what ever set up i use at the time
pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 04:28   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaynet
Had a look at a 4 bolt main block with no engine number.

It is said to have race car team origins - possibly the Big M team and the block could be a USA import. As far as I can tell its a 351 block ( has 4MA crank) but no extra webbing or meat down the sides above the sump rails - so its not a Nascar block.

It has the following casting numbers :-

D2AE-CA with 2C29 below.

The 1st number could be DZAE-CA and the number below could be 2G29 or 2029.

It is as new (no rust in water galleries) but has been run and threw a rod with minor damage to bottom of bore on one cylinder but this would not affect its usability or need repair. Bore is said to be original

Can anyone throw any light on this? Any ideas on value? Also, what is the 4MA worth (still original size)
D2AE is just a regular production block.Any 2 bolt block can be turned into a four bolter as the provions are already cast in.2C29 would mean that it was cast on 29 th march 1972.As it is in damaged cond I would say its prolly worth 500 bucks if repairing is possible.Throwing a rod usually does substansial damage so beware of other damage.
russxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 05:02   #4 (permalink)
ESP Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by russxr67
D2AE is just a regular production block.Any 2 bolt block can be turned into a four bolter as the provions are already cast in.2C29 would mean that it was cast on 29 th march 1972.As it is in damaged cond I would say its prolly worth 500 bucks if repairing is possible.Throwing a rod usually does substansial damage so beware of other damage.
Someone else told me they thought it may be a Boss block and pinkbits seems to concur.

Is this a locally manufactured block or USA import?

If its just a regular block with 4 bolt main caps what is it worth? (assuming a hone is all it needs)
Old 04-26-2005, 05:35   #5 (permalink)

4MA's go for about $200-300. Tell him the block is stuffed and that's all you'll give him!
Old 04-26-2005, 15:33   #6 (permalink)
Approach with caution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russxr67
Spot on 100% correct.

Nearly every square block in australia and america is a D2AE-CA block, they came in 2 and 4 bolt (america only) If it hasn't got any engine numbers its because its been imported from america and was a factory 4 bolt block.
The Date code of manufacture - 2C29 is also spot on.
Ive got exactly the same std bore 4 bolt block as this at home too, i think its even got the same casting date!
Old 04-26-2005, 18:34   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaynet
Someone else told me they thought it may be a Boss block and pinkbits seems to concur.

Is this a locally manufactured block or USA import?

If its just a regular block with 4 bolt main caps what is it worth? (assuming a hone is all it needs)
It would have to have come from the U.S as no production clevo was ever manufactured in Oz with four bolt caps.The fact that this particular block has four bolt caps would be of no use if the bores couldn,t take a 30 thou bore.I would be far more interested if the block had little core shift and thick bores. My advice is sonic check the block if you are keen to verify wall thickness,then if it passes start talking bucks.Would be a shame to pay a premium for a 4 bolt block if you hit water with a routine 30 thou pass.Not that it can,t be fixed but will only add to the expense.
russxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 19:37   #8 (permalink)

Its nothing special, its damaged, i would pass on it......
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech