What to do... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2005, 18:16   #1 (permalink)

What to do...

The 351 clevo in my XA GT is a bog stock unit out of an XC GXL (no, don't have the original motor) that has not done heaps of miles since being reco'd.

A while ago something in the motor sh1t itself, and I finally got around to checking it out. It is a buggered lifter, which also seems to have destroyed the cam.

Whilst going to the effort of taking the motor out and fixing it, I am toying with the idea of spending a couple of extra dollars to bump up the performance a little bit to keep me satisfied until I can afford a proper performance rebuild.

The car is manual, but factory auto, which I wouldn't mind changing back to. Has standard cast spreadbore manifold with 650DP holley. Standard 351 heads, electronic dizzy (XC type). Runs 295 tyres with 3:00 gears.

What mods are going to give me the best results for my money?

Cam - which needs to be replaced anyhow - what other mods are required with different cam, ie: strengthened pushrods and rockers?

Heads - rollers, or changing to 302, or larger valves?

Transmission - leave manual or change to auto, stall converter?

Engine balance?

Manifold & dizzy, diff gears?

Any thoughts & help appreciated. What would some of these mods cost?

Regards,
Luke.
LukeGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2005, 20:14   #2 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Re: What to do...

Diff gears. 3.5's would surprise you. Then fit a hyd cam that suits 3.5 gears. It'll also stop your slow off the mark. I'm guessing it's slow off the mark with a 650dp and 3.0 gears.

Fit a XD/E style electronic distriubutor. Then fit a weiand excelerator at a last resort.

In order -:

* 3.5 gears ($700)
* Cam and lifters (around $250)
* electronic dizzy ($50->$150 depending on condition)
* manifold (Around $400 new)

Don't worry about touching heads just yet. Leave the manual unless you hate manuals.
Old 07-17-2005, 20:23   #3 (permalink)

3.5 gears $700??? What are they made out of gold.
crochunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 20:28   #4 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by crochunter
3.5 gears $700??? What are they made out of gold.
$700 is complete diff reco. Thats gears/bearings/LSD clutches, seals etc etc.

Only a fool would just fit gears on a diff thats had unknown use.
Old 07-17-2005, 23:11   #5 (permalink)

Thanks Brenx,

I've got a 3.55 open wheeler centre somewhere that I can throw in for now to test out, and later on can spend the dollars to get the gears put on one of my LSD centres.

I've also got an XD/E electronic dizzy floating around, however the smaller shaft size has always put me off fitting it. I know a lot of people just put it in anyhow, and face the fact that they will get less life, and I know you can put the larger shaft in but that costs $300+ to do. I've also heard of machining and sleeving the bottom of the shaft but have never seen the result of this.

I'll research what CAMS are around for this combo. Will I need strengthened pushrods, lifters, rockers, valve springs etc with a bigger cam?

Thanks,
Luke.
Old 07-17-2005, 23:24   #6 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeGT
Thanks Brenx,

I've got a 3.55 open wheeler centre somewhere that I can throw in for now to test out, and later on can spend the dollars to get the gears put on one of my LSD centres.

I've also got an XD/E electronic dizzy floating around, however the smaller shaft size has always put me off fitting it. I know a lot of people just put it in anyhow, and face the fact that they will get less life, and I know you can put the larger shaft in but that costs $300+ to do. I've also heard of machining and sleeving the bottom of the shaft but have never seen the result of this.

I'll research what CAMS are around for this combo. Will I need strengthened pushrods, lifters, rockers, valve springs etc with a bigger cam?

Thanks,
Luke.
It doesn't cost that much. It's a pain with the different shaft sizes. My mates XD one had a 13mm shaft which we machined down. He'd just had the shaft etc etc all sorted for $180 inc double bushing. Ring around and try and find a flogged out dizzy with the larger shaft.

Extra's will depend on the cam chosen. Springs are a possiblity but everything else should be fine and reliable. We ran 90->135lbs closed and 280-335lb open pressure on various cams. We varied the installed height to get extra pressure. From 1.820"->1.950". Used stock pushrods, stock rocker gear etc. 90/280lbs is almost stock. 135/335lbs is too much for stock valves.
Old 07-18-2005, 00:00   #7 (permalink)

Brenx,

I've got a few flogged out points dizzys and electronic dizzys that I can use the shaft from. Do you have the number of the place that your mate used? Did the $180 include setting up the dizzy for the CAM etc?

I gave Crowe CAMS a quick call to see what type of CAM they recommended (they're 10 mins up the road from me), and the guy said part 21665 and 211367 would be suitable (http://www.crowcams.com.au/templates...leveland.shtml).
He said with the second cam I would need double valve springs.

Do you agree that these would be suitable? and with single / double springs and standard or heavier pushrods? What other places do good cams for clevos?

Luke.
Old 07-18-2005, 00:31   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
My mates XD one had a 13mm shaft which we machined down.
Your mate must of had the old block, as the XD block has the 12mm shaft.
Maybe just use the XC electronic thats allready there??
xdclevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 00:37   #9 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeGT
Brenx,

I've got a few flogged out points dizzys and electronic dizzys that I can use the shaft from. Do you have the number of the place that your mate used? Did the $180 include setting up the dizzy for the CAM etc?

I gave Crowe CAMS a quick call to see what type of CAM they recommended (they're 10 mins up the road from me), and the guy said part 21665 and 211367 would be suitable (http://www.crowcams.com.au/templates...leveland.shtml).
He said with the second cam I would need double valve springs.

Do you agree that these would be suitable? and with single / double springs and standard or heavier pushrods? What other places do good cams for clevos?

Luke.
Yes that inc everything.

Ignition Torque
Fcty 8/ 78 Bayfield Rd Bayswater 3153
(03) 9720 6308

Either would do well. We used the bottom 3 cams on this list. I'm still using the solid cam currently (bottom cam on list) . The 3rd one up from the top we used in athe 302. It's still in it. It required springs. the 2nd from the bottom we used it had impressive torque. but required springs and valves. http://www.cranecams.com.au/caminfo/fordcl7082.htm
Old 07-18-2005, 00:39   #10 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdclevo
Your mate must of had the old block, as the XD block has the 12mm shaft.
Maybe just use the XC electronic thats allready there??
Not sure as the dizzy fitted in my block (factory XC) but wouldn't fit in my mates wagons engine (god knows what car it came out of). Yet it fitted in his factory XB 302 which he's the 2nd owner and he knows the 1st owner. It's never had a new engine.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech