what does a "2" stamped on the heads mean? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2006, 05:25   #1 (permalink)
351 XE on LPG

what does a "2" stamped on the heads mean?

My brother just bought a ZH Fairlane fitted with a 351C. I was surprised to see a "2" stamped on the heads in the top corner where a "4" is located on 4V models. I was under the impression that heads marked with a "2" were made in the US.

I expected his 351 to have heads which were made here, since Ford Australia had the tooling here for the XA (and its unique 302C), years before the ZH was released.

Does the "2" indicate gutless low compression open chamber heads?

I understand that a better option would be a set of 302 heads with their better port design and smaller quench area which delivers a higher C/R (ideal because the ZH is running on gas).

Are the "2" heads worth building up or should they be sacrificed to the ebay god?

My brother bought it off a deceased estate with just over 300K on the clock (looks like a virgin motor). The old guy had had the car for most of its life, (purchased from the original owner in the very early 80's I think). The body and interior are perfect. It will make a nice cruiser.
Rhett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2006, 05:45   #2 (permalink)

Re: what does a "2" stamped on the heads mean?

I was under the impression that the xy K code was the last aussie ford with these heads.Perhaps the previous owner purchased some exchange recon heads at some time.I believe all the 2 stamped heads are open chamber.You're right on the money with the 302 heads.Set them up for lpg and do a little work in the chambers(around the valves) and the exhaust ports and you will have an increase in both power and torque.At 300K,if you are thinking of pulling the heads you may as well do the whole engine as the increase in cylinder pressure will put a lot more stress on the rings and it may soon be needing a rebuild.I take it the car is a factory 351(t code on plate).
351zd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 06:00   #3 (permalink)
351 XE on LPG

The 351 is running fine for the moment, (no smoke or noises), so my brother has no immediate plans to pull the heads. The 300K are all country K's, which I've always liked. I was just planning ahead for his future build.

This is his first V8 and the bug has bitten big time. You guys know what it's like - you can NEVER have enough power, so it's just a matter of time before he goes looking for some more horses.
Old 03-24-2006, 17:25   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett
Does the "2" indicate gutless low compression open chamber heads?

I understand that a better option would be a set of 302 heads with their better port design and smaller quench area which delivers a higher C/R (ideal because the ZH is running on gas).
Openchamber heads flow more than closed chamber when stock, and can perform just as good anyday of the week. Also, the port design is the same with the two, so i'm not sure what you are talking about there.
Don't underestimate open chamber heads.
xdclevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 21:50   #5 (permalink)
Approach with caution.

"2" just means they're early type US cast 2V open chamber heads. The later US cast 2V heads have "2 DOT" and the aussie cast heads have nothing.
These 2 heads were fitted to K Code 351's fitted to falcons and fairlanes made in 1970 - 1971.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:10   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
"2" just means they're early type US cast 2V open chamber heads. The later US cast 2V heads have "2 DOT" and the aussie cast heads have nothing.
These 2 heads were fitted to K Code 351's fitted to falcons and fairlanes made in 1970 - 1971.
I WAS TOLD THAT 2V OPEN HEADS MADE IN THE USA HAD VEINS UNDER THE BOTTOM OF EVERY INLET PORT AND OF THE 11 SETS OF HEADS I HAVE ONLY ONE SET IS SO CALLED USA MADE, AND IT HAS NO #2 STAMPED IN IT, BUT MOST OF MY AUSSIE HEADS DO!
MUST BE LUCK OF THE DRAW..
xrglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 01:43   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrglen
I WAS TOLD THAT 2V OPEN HEADS MADE IN THE USA HAD VEINS UNDER THE BOTTOM OF EVERY INLET PORT AND OF THE 11 SETS OF HEADS I HAVE ONLY ONE SET IS SO CALLED USA MADE, AND IT HAS NO #2 STAMPED IN IT, BUT MOST OF MY AUSSIE HEADS DO!
MUST BE LUCK OF THE DRAW..
No need to shout!! (leave the Caps lock off next time)
paull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 03:45   #8 (permalink)

I thought all 2V heads were open chamber apart from the aussie 302 ones?
northiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 04:10   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by northiam
I thought all 2V heads were open chamber apart from the aussie 302 ones?
All "351" 2V heads were open chamber. Thats why some Americans go gaga over Closed chamber heads, becasue no 302cs there to rob them .
xdclevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 05:41   #10 (permalink)
351 XE on LPG

thanks for the input guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech