Ford Forums banner

Why is my car spluttering and stalling in hot weather?

21K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  gsw 
#1 ·
When the weather gets really hot my car will run fine then out of nowhere lose all power and get all jerky then stall if I dont pull over.
I imagine its the carby. When it happens I try to accelerate and nothing happens, Maybe it isnt getting enough petrol? Then I stop and restart the car and it is sometimes okay or sometimes it will do it again 3 minutes later.

Please help its really annoying having to stop 5 times on the way to work.

Thanks
Dan

#3 · (Edited)
Check float height and neddle & seat. and inlet leaks.Auto choke

#5 ·
DansEdgli said:
How do i stop it boiling?
On the fuel line that passes the extractor put an old piece of heater hose to test it. You could put a viewable filter in the line that way you'll definately know it's fuel boiling.

It's quite common in clevelands for the fuel to boil in hot weather. I had to adjust my idle mixtures to get my 351 to idle in this weather.

Brenden

#7 ·
Thats the thing it wont rev. Its like when my mini runs out of petrol cos of the fuel pump immobiliser.

I think brenx has the right idea, I have put in a clear fuel filter so Ill have a look next time it does it.

#9 ·
As the guys have said, it is more than likely boiling the Fuel in the Line / Carburettor. I had that problem a few Summers ago on my XB. I needed to make a bracket to keep the Fuel Hose away from the Block / Radiator Hose. Fixed it no worries.

#10 ·
if its running out of fuel while you are driving, it would lean towards blocked needle and seat, or fault with the pump.

Boiling fuel usually only affects restarting when the engine is hot, but seems that you are getting a total loss of fuel.

A pressure gauge would be the 1st step.
Also make sure the tank is venting through the cannister and purge valve, it might be building up pressure.

#11 ·
Had similiar problems on and off over the years, legacy of having a carb in the summer time.. Tried all sorts of stuff to fix it.

I've just fitted a heat shield under the carby - Holley part #108-70 - keeps the heat out of the carby better than phenolic spacer, though I've got one of them too.

Fixed my problem.

#12 ·
thats cos as i said wat u pay 4 is wat u get its a pile of shit the way it has been converted wat fuel line u using u shld be using a xd v8 one that cums through the skirt under the powersteer pump if u usin the 6cyl one dats part of problem change that anmd c wat happens ok u shld be fine tho

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.