why oh why does it do this??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2005, 00:20   #1 (permalink)
351Cleveland

Question why oh why does it do this???

Hi everyone,
I have got a problem with my 351 Cleveland, i recent purchased it and it was running fine, but was desperate need of a service.
So i went and replaced the plugs dizzy cap rotor button leads and fuel filter and a couple of pieces of fuel line as they were ca-put. It drove fine for a few days but now, i am have this problem where it has become very tempramental and stalls for no apparent reason I thought i may have been the fuel pump because it was hard to start but sometimes the fuel filter is full and somtimes it isnt. It gives little pffs of smoke when i try to turn it over and smells very fuelled up (almost like it is flooded) but when it does get going again it may drive fine for an 1hr or it may drive fine for 10 meters then do the same thing again. Any advice would be muchly appreciated
Cheers
xeute is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2005, 00:48   #2 (permalink)

Re: why oh why does it do this???

Hello, i would try putting a carby kit in first. Then possibly something in the fuel tank blocking the fuel pick-up.
xw383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 04:18   #3 (permalink)

i spent about 6g on my first ever v8 rebuild and changed heaps of stuff in the engine bay but not the condensor on the points dissy
never had taken a car to a mechanic in my life until it played up a year or so later and had me stuffed , guess what it was , a bloomen 5 dollar condensor

have you got a fuel line going close to exhaust getting hot and vapourising the fuel ?

on clevos the number 4 and 5 leads can cross spark im told if they run close to each other
pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 05:01   #4 (permalink)

logic point to something u hav touched, trace ur steps and make sure things like leads r gud quality and arent falling off. i once put a new dizzy cap on my beast it started then halfway down the street no go. smelt fuelled up. fired it again was running fine then a stumble and off again. mine was a faulty dizzy cap took me a while to find only found it cos i put the old 1 bak on and it was fine luckly it was the first thing i changed cos like u i thought i'd do the lot.
the centre pin on the dizzy cap that touches the rotor button didnt hav a spring in it and occasionally got stuck in it's lil bore that it sits in.
hope u kept the old bits gud luck
ziggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 06:57   #5 (permalink)
351 XE on LPG

Make sure none of the fuel lines are sucking air.
Always use good quality hose and clamps.
NEVER use those pathetic spring clamps.
Only use the ones you can tighten with a screw driver.
Always use a good fuel filter and make sure the arrow follows the flow of fuel.
Rhett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 16:36   #6 (permalink)
Slurry Boostin

What plugs did you put in?

Have you pulled one yet?
VS 215i Senator *For Sale*
TTNOS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech