Ford Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Why Would You Buy CHI When New AFD Out

21K views 130 replies 30 participants last post by  GMACK24 
#1 ·
These are the new heads AFD have just made. They are far superior than CHI heads. They are making 2 piece manifolds as well now.

http://www.airflowdynamics.com.au/

Now what have all you CHI guys have to say about this. You still reckon AFD are sht. :priest: Hey brenx i seen in one of your forum postd that you was going to go to the 218 heads. I think you better take a look at these old mate. I bet you would want a set of these beautys on that big green turd. Only joking. AFD ROCKS. Just giving DAVE a bit of a plug. FULLY SICK.

#2 ·
crochunter said:
These are the new heads AFD have just made. They are far superior than CHI heads. They are making 2 piece manifolds as well now.

Now what have all you CHI guys have to say about this. You still reckon AFD are sht. :priest: Hey brenx i seen in one of your forum postd that you was going to go to the 218 heads. I think you better take a look at these old mate. I bet you would want a set of these beautys on that big green turd. Only joking. AFD ROCKS. Just giving DAVE a bit of a plug. FULLY SICK.
you stirer you :priest:

I would'nt say they a far superior though... well maybe a little :priest:

#4 ·
Its good to see that there is competition for both chi and afd .
This will keep both on their toes for price and quality .
I still think that both companies suit different set ups .

PS I look forward to reading the next 4 pages of this thread and after that we will see.

#5 ·
tony xa said:
Its good to see that there is competition for both chi and afd .
This will keep both on their toes for price and quality .
I still think that both companies suit different set ups .

PS I look forward to reading the next 4 pages of this thread and after that we will see.
We need Bennett to come out and produce YT clevo heads..... i'm sure things will heat up if that ever happens!!

#7 ·
crochunter said:

Again It seems the mighty crochunter has opened his mouth and spewed out a vast array of verbal diarrhea, but its good to finally see a pretty equal comparison with similar cubes, compression, carby, extractors and well almost similar camshaft to compare my 408 cubed windsor to.
The differences between my setup and the one on the AFD site is obviously the heads (im using the CHI 3v 200cc the first released, and obviously there using the AFD4v) and camshaft mines a solid roller camshaft with 248/254 duration @ 50 with 670thou lift and theres is a soild flat tappet camshaft with specs as stated on the AFD site AFD2642M 316/334 264/272 Mech 3800/7500 .361"/.372" .626"/.645" .025"/.025" 108. pretty similar camshafts except mines got 30 thou more lift and well heaps less duration if anything with AFDs access to engine dyno and facilities and hours spent tuning, and the fact mine was assembled in a friends back shed and only been on a chasis dyno twice i concider my combo to be at a bit of a disadvantage, others may see this differently. My dyno figures as ive stated are 459rwhp on pump fuel (U98 as used by AFD as well) which on the dyno dynamics chasis dyno figured to 580 odd fwhp with only regraphing the distributor and an untouched BG carby. The AFD made 598 fwhp with more duration higher cfm heads and bulk hours on dynotuning. So as far as the AFDs being superior Id say not but im sure others that are mis informed or just ignorant like crochunter may disagree at the end of the day it just means more alternatives for us Ford enthusiasts and greater value for money as competition will always drive prices down.

#11 ·
XD408 said:
What and you dont :p
Mate, a bit of sarcasm does not hurt....

You CHI groupies take things too seriously :wank2: lighten up.

quoting what some forum member posted a while ago:

"There will allways be someone who builds a bigger, badder and nastier engine than yours" ....
..wether it's with CHI heads, AFD heads or Cast IRON heads! So give up trying to substantiate

#12 ·
Alright XD408 when i get my motor done we will see who is far superior TOSS. And this wont be run on methanol like yours. Ans also you said you was going to bigger cam. So what u saying AFD still not good. I think u better take a closer look at the figures. Just admit it that motor he built is alot better than yours. And at alot less cost. And these heads are off the shelf power not like yours that have had money and time spent on them. So give up now just admit it AFD ROCKS. FULLY SICK. PS: I bet BRENX buys some AFD.

#13 ·
Looks like the competition is hotting up in the aftermarket head game, i may have to go have a look at AFD since i live 3klm from their factory.
Crochunter, people may take more notice of what you say when you start talking like an adult instead of a child... :wank2:

#14 ·
XD408 said:
. The AFD made 598 fwhp with more duration higher cfm heads and bulk hours on dynotuning. So as far as the AFDs being superior Id say not but im sure others that are mis informed or just ignorant like crochunter may disagree at the end of the day it just means more alternatives for us Ford enthusiasts and greater value for money as competition will always drive prices down.
AFD headed 4v motors have made way way more than 598fwhp. This is just the AFD test mule by the sounds of it.
And this testing is on the standard 4v AFD. I can't wait to see results on their performance T4HP heads. Should keep em honest.
(they made 596?? hp with Troy Cookes 2v AFD motor.)

#15 ·
I have been looking at the afd website, i like this bit about the 4v's:

A high reving 351 (7500 rpm) or lower rpm stroker engine will benefit from AFD's ability to produce not only great horsepower but an awesome broad torque curve right out of the box.
And they can supply a matching roller cam.... :thup:

#21 ·
Rhett said:
Care to elaborate Tony? Thanks.
This is just my Thoughts on both heads .
CHI more street with great potential for drag .
AFD good on street but more for all out drag and will more than likley out perform chi at the extreme end at the drags but will not be as good on the street .
The above comments are only my thoughts and it based on 3vchi-4vafd.
I am in no way greatly educated in these areas .So please no one bomb me with figures and numbers to prove me wrong. Because it will not get a response manly because I can't give one .

PS Both seem to be great products (horses for courses).
Maybe next car I will use afd just so I don't have to take sides

#23 ·
crochunter said:

Crochunter has gone off on his own tangent once again. Let me state that I have no allegiance to either product but the CHI head ,at this stage would be my preferred option. I have had a look at the dyno chart of AFD,s 408 clevo and the high rpm numbers are impressive enough or so it would seem. If you are familiar with the CHI website visit it and look at the comparo between the 185EM head and the 3V218 head installed on an engine of 408 cubes as well. I,m no genius but it doesn,t take much to figure it out.With less cam and carb the CHI not only makes around the same peak numbers but the figures lower in the rpm range leave the AFD head for dead.Go ahead,look for yourself. Even the 185 head looks mighty impressive on an engine that tops 400 cubes.Probably not the forte of the 185 head but it hold its own up to around the 5000 rpm mark where the larger 218 head comes into its own. The outcome would appear that the afd head is certainly capable of making good high rpm power but overall the chi head makes great lower rpm power as well as peak numbers. The port design seems to be spot on,able to fill a cylinder efficiently down low and not run out of breath as rpm peaks.At around 4500 rpm it is nearly 100 ft lbs better than the afd.
Now tell me which head do you like? Or should I ask,why did Jon Kaase select the CHI head over anything else?

#24 ·
russxr67 said:
Or should I ask,why did Jon Kaase select the CHI head over anything else?
russxr6, that is a no brainer. You should know why.

CHI definatly do have the numbers on the board up to now. Also we know that won't last forever and you are only as good as you last good day. Something better will and could have allready come along, but who cares. If you are a better builder/tuner than the next, you will win with either of these killer heads. How can people sit back and look at regurgetated info and make a sound/solid basis to go on. I recon buy your head and let the wars begin :driver: :driver:
(i wish i waited till now to go alloys instead of a few years ago)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.