work this one out (clevo problem) missing when hot - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2005, 03:06   #1 (permalink)
ZK 351

work this one out (clevo problem) missing when hot

Ok to start out will explain what i have
351 clevo,
straight LPG
2v closed chambers
wieand single plain intake
vortech V2 supercharger, hitting 8psi of boost @ 4500rpm.

ignition system is laptop programmable megaspark, (based on Megasquirt (do a google search) )
and has not given me any trouble at all since install a few months back.

in last week have put on new leads, colder range plugs with .5 gap, new cap, and rotor... have tried a different coil as well, my coil is mounted on the shock tower so it shouldnt be getting overly hot

now to the problem

about 2 weeks back it started missing and stumbling on off idle acceleration, then once the revs get up it goes pretty well,
progressively got worse, now to the point that you cannot nail it from stand still, it just dont go anywhere and feels as though someone yanked 4 leads off, but if you gradually accelerate with the missing then nail it around 2500-3000rpm it gets up and goes

this only happens after the motor warms up, will run perfect for the first 1 - 2km of first thing in the morning driving. you can bury the foot to the floor though first and 2nd up to 4500rpm from stand still and it will pull clean the whole way...

after that at say the traffic lights at idle it misses on at least 1 cylinder. and takes off like a dog.

now today i did a compression test, did a cold one, didnt feel like burning hands playing with it today, i know i now have to do a hot test
the cold readings i got were
1- 185psi
2- 160psi
3- 180psi
4- 160psi
5- 170psi
6- 175psi
7- 180psi
8- 165psi

AND another thing was the other day on the way to work i had the bonnet up about half way to work to adjust LPG mix a bit and noticed that there was blowby coming out the oil cap like a chimney, i have been checking it every day since then but its not as bad, but you can notice it without taking the cap off

think thats about all

if there is any more info needed, let me know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2005, 04:03   #2 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Re: work this one out (clevo problem) missing when hot

lean, ignition module or coil are my guess's. [edit] add head gasket, distributor shaft slop and valve spring pressure.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:18   #3 (permalink)
ZK 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
lean, ignition module or coil are my guess's. [edit] add head gasket, distributor shaft slop and valve spring pressure.
both ignition modules i am running have a heap of heat sink compound on them, and one is mounted on a 1/2 thick piece of aluminium,.

will a headgasket really get worse after engine warms up?

no slop in distributor shaft, its locked down solid...

valve spring pressure... now would that cause missing?? can you go into a bit more detail with that one?

Cheers
Old 08-28-2005, 04:20   #4 (permalink)

On a side note, I wouldn't be burying my foot to the floor in the first 1-2km of a cold engine.

Takes me about 7km to warm up full

Being a total gas numby, are gas mixers touchy WRT temp?
Old 08-28-2005, 04:24   #5 (permalink)
ZK 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBlu351
On a side note, I wouldn't be burying my foot to the floor in the forst 1-2km of a cold engine.

Takes me about 7km to warm up full
yeah but you get that had to test it to rule out the problem occuring when cold .. :)
Old 08-28-2005, 04:36   #6 (permalink)

same as my work car does, my cause was LPG mixtures bad and timing was retarded too much, have you played with the timing or did it just develope a miss?
LTD351V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 04:39   #7 (permalink)
ZK 351

havent touched the timing for probably 3 or 4 weeks, but the mixtures on the other hand, yeah been screwing around with them a bit, only a few turns at a time here and there though
Old 08-28-2005, 04:44   #8 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZK 351
both ignition modules i am running have a heap of heat sink compound on them, and one is mounted on a 1/2 thick piece of aluminium,.

will a headgasket really get worse after engine warms up?

no slop in distributor shaft, its locked down solid...

valve spring pressure... now would that cause missing?? can you go into a bit more detail with that one?

Cheers
Head gasket- Everything expends once the engine warms. More clearance.

Valvesprings don't retain their pressure forever they do loose pressure. Your's being forced induction could even be blowing the valve open, if soft.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:46   #9 (permalink)

do you have something to measure them by? often what sounds best isn't if you know what I mean, also the idle mix screw on the 425's the difference between good and bad can be as little as 1/25th of a turn!! thats where the idle miss and poor take-off could be coming from, its too sensitive to just go a bit here or a bit there unless you are super careful and mark where it started out.
LTD351V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 04:51   #10 (permalink)
ZK 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
Head gasket- Everything expends once the engine warms. More clearance.

Valvesprings don't retain their pressure forever they do loose pressure. Your's being forced induction could even be blowing the valve open, if soft.
IF it was blowing valves open it wouldnt be doing so under light acceleration as well when the bypass is opened
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech