Ford Forums banner

would wsitching the felx after balancing be a problem

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  LTD351V2 
#1 ·
the engine builder has balanced my 351 using a 302 flex plate, its 157tooth and I needed the bigger one, its a 28oz flex plate.

Will changing it over to a 16? tooth 28ox flex muck up the balance, i would think it will to some degree?

The situ is 351W using c9/10 bellhousing/351W starter.

#2 ·
For sure, as soon as you even move the flex around one bolt hole the balance is effectively ruined. The motor will be balanced for the whole rotating assembly (rods, pistons, crank, harmonic balancer and flexplate/flywheel and clutch). They usually mark your flex with a dot corresponding to a mark on the crank. All of this really means shit, as the factory balance was no where near as good as the balance work you have had done. You probably wouldnt feel it, it would probably be better than the old motor you drove. But saying that in a worse case you may feel a vibe if you're really looking for it. If you are really worried take it back in, its only money!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.