Ford Forums banner

XD runs 10.29 @ 132mph with 310rwkw

7K views 35 replies 14 participants last post by  azza 
#1 ·
No, not my XD but now that I have your attention. Did u see the latest Performance Ford Mag with the story on the HSVETR plated XD running 383, C10 & 4.33 gears in full street trim to run 10's.

It has an Ohio crank & rods, SVO heads, roller cam, Victor style Yates manifold with 950 Holley ultra and custom 2" headers into 3.5 collectors. Only runs 8.5" rears with Bridgestones. They don't give anything away on the specs. Lots of pics and it squats real nice on launch!

What is an Ohio crank? Also what is that manifold?

#27 ·
Racer said:
When you hit 10's, it become expotentially harder to drop your ET's. With those mods, i would predict low 10's.
I'm actually gob smacked that you are running your existing times with such a tame cam. You have obviously struck that elusive "magic combination"!!
Yeh the cam was a good choice, coincidently i told the guy who i got most of the parts thru i wanted 450 ish rwhp and made 459 at best so he was pretty spot on. But recently before i raced it and ran the 10sec pass powers been down i think cause we kept advancing the timing, not remembering that on the chasis dyno that retarding it seemed to make more power and advancing it took away power??? i had it on the dyno a few weeks b4 the drags and with slicks on it made 390something rwhp, we just put it down the the slicks and the diff having minor problems getting a bit of play in it, which didnt help when i tried to do burnouts either.

I know traction was also an issue my 60s were in the 1.7, 1.8 zone but the front end hardly lifted at all. Ive seen 12 sec cars gettin the front tyres off the deck so we thought with the ladder bar it might possibly hit a 9 but ill guess we'll see in a couple of months.

#28 ·
Any falcon with A3 or Yates head's have to do 10's or high 9's or you would be mighty peeved off, I am not dismissing the performance of the car but with the cost of the heads and rocker gear it is a recipe for seriously quick time's if you have the money.
Look at the fairlane in same mag it's in the 10.30's but with gas up it and 11.3's without, has a great looking launch though. Windsor!
AZZA

#29 ·
[/QUOTE]Any falcon with A3 or Yates head's have to do 10's or high 9's or you would be mighty peeved off, I am not dismissing the performance of the car but with the cost of the heads and rocker gear it is a recipe for seriously quick time's if you have the money.
Look at the fairlane in same mag it's in the 10.30's but with gas up it and 11.3's without, has a great looking launch though. Windsor!
AZZA
you are joking are you not? If only it took A3 or Yates and a splash of cash to run 9's,10's or whatever. I think the magazine brainwashing may have struck again. What is a great looking launch. Windsor!

#30 ·
XD408 said:
yeh thats what i figured with the mph he's running would have to be over 600hp and 500+ at the treads (hp not kw). Im just in the progress now of adding the roll cage and ladder bar suspension, as well as the new camshaft (old cam, 248/254 @50 670thou 110* lobe sep. and the new is 265/274 @50 780thou 108* lobe sep.) and upping the compression from 11.1 to 12.5.1 to run avgas or similar octane fuel. Plus adding a rocker girdle, HPC coating extractors, strange carrier and billet yoke :) just wanted to know what sort of HP u guys reckon i should gain from this and also 1/4 mile gains. Were hoping for a possible high 9 sec pass or ultra low 10's with 650ish fwhp 530rwhp???? any guesses
p.s. sorry to high jack ur thread shaynet:p
That's Ok. I'm reading & learning.

What about "longroof351", Gotta love that handle. What's the next wagon owner gunna call himself - noboot351!!!!!!!!

Good luck with your quest for the 9's but as racer says I think you will have to do more than that to get another second out of it

#31 ·
shaynet said:

What about "longroof351", Gotta love that handle. What's the next wagon owner gunna call himself - noboot351!!!!!!!!

Good luck with your quest for the 9's but as racer says I think you will have to do more than that to get another second out of it
Do you have a problem with wagon owners? :stfu2:

#32 ·
noboot351 said:
Do you have a problem with wagon owners? :stfu2:

Very clever :priest: Pity you couldn't find a picture of a wagon to go with your handle

Have had a couple of wagons myself to accomodate the rug rats when I come to think of it. TE Cortina with the 4.1 went alright. And ED Falcon 4.0.

Was driving thru a isolated country town in the TE when all of a sudden there is a bang and all this smoke/steam starts pouring out from under the bonnet. I had replaced the cracked exhaust manifold with extractors and one of the air con hoses was too close and burnt thru, spraying liquid all over the extractors. This happened right at the instant I was passing the only garage for hundreds of miles and the mechanic was standing out the front having a chin wag. I could see him rubbing his hands together as I lifted the bonnet to investigate and then his jaw dropped as I got back in and drove off with wisps of smoke still trailing from under the car!! That's about all I can remember of the TE except that it was thirsty.

#33 ·
shaynet said:

Hey thanks, I hope i get into the 9s but even low 10s would be good, I was just going on the moroso calculator that said a 550fwhp xd/xe accordingly setup big stall and ratios should run 10.40s with 1.4 60 footers, i had 570-580fwhp b4 so should have been doing 10.2-3 there abouts figured with an extra 70-80hp should get me a high 9 but ill guess ill find out soon, either way ill get it in there N/A or with the help of NOS :)

#34 ·
XD408 said:
Hey thanks, I hope i get into the 9s but even low 10s would be good, I was just going on the moroso calculator that said a 550fwhp xd/xe accordingly setup big stall and ratios should run 10.40s with 1.4 60 footers, i had 570-580fwhp b4 so should have been doing 10.2-3 there abouts figured with an extra 70-80hp should get me a high 9 but ill guess ill find out soon, either way ill get it in there N/A or with the help of NOS :)
9.90 in a falcon is 650ish HP. The trouble will be finding that 70-80 hp you mentioned, in what is already a highly developed and efficient engine package.

I wish you well though. Why not just spray the tits off it and shoot for 8's? Thats what i would be doing!

ps
60 footers for 10's should be 1.40's, and 1.30's for 9's

#35 ·
Racer said:
9.90 in a falcon is 650ish HP. The trouble will be finding that 70-80 hp you mentioned, in what is already a highly developed and efficient engine package.

I wish you well though. Why not just spray the tits off it and shoot for 8's? Thats what i would be doing!

ps
60 footers for 10's should be 1.40's, and 1.30's for 9's
I figured the ladder bars and some 6cyl springs would help with the weight transfer and traction to get me into the 1.3, 1.4 60's. John Kase from CHI reckons the camshaft ive got is way to small for a 408 cube engine, its durations really low and said off the shelf cams dont work to well with the 3vs, the camshaft he sent me is a custom one he recomended to use i think is the same camshaft used in the 408 cube windsor he put together for the engine masters comp. which is basically exactly the same setup as mine bar the manifold (im using a port matched TFC) and they ran lower compression and achieved 702fwhp so thats were i got the extra 70-80hp figures from. I would have thought the increase in compression and duration change would easily account for those sort of gains as everyone says those are two of the main factors that affect HP. What would guestimate Horsepower wise i should gain from the upgrade????

#36 ·
Any falcon with A3 or Yates head's have to do 10's or high 9's or you would be mighty peeved off, I am not dismissing the performance of the car but with the cost of the heads and rocker gear it is a recipe for seriously quick time's if you have the money.
AZZA
you are joking are you not? If only it took A3 or Yates and a splash of cash to run 9's,10's or whatever. I think the magazine brainwashing may have struck again. What is a great looking launch. Windsor!
Where's the joke these yate's heads are manufactured to perform, nascar teams use them and many drag racer's in the USA where they are much cheaper and it's no magazine talk as i have been to willowbank and seen Tony O'Connor's xy and Scott Kareandrew's xw before it was sold and both do 9's. The launch refer's to the gold gairlane which run's a windsor and run's in the 10.30's with gas. If you want to run these number's in a registered part time or never streeter and have the cash yeah these heads are the best starting point.
AZZA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.