XE 351c - Hornet scoop and Filters... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2004, 00:05   #1 (permalink)
82XE 351c

Question XE 351c - Hornet scoop and Filters...

Hey all,
I'm gunna use a low cut hornet scoop on my XE 351c. I havn't got the scoop yet but i am going to get the filter this week. What is the biggest size and the shape K&N filter i can get up into the hornet scoop?

I am going to run the scoop flat as on the bonnet.... using a 1" or so spacer to get it up into. the motor is 6,000rpm max and nothing special, 650DP, not too much flow needed...

has anyone modded a tall hornet scoop,cut it down to be flat. or is it easier to just buy the already low one, as i have the tall for free? but it is only $100 or so....

also where is a good place to order it? I want the extreme top etc... :) Ty
thanks all!!
pracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2004, 00:07   #2 (permalink)
82XE 351c

Re: XE 351c - Hornet scoop and Filters...

p.s.

STROKEXD's looks great!
Old 12-17-2004, 06:18   #3 (permalink)

I have a tall hornet scoop with a 2" carb spacer. If you want to go UP into the scoop like you mentioned, the max diameter that will fit is 9 inches.

I'm using a 9x3 paper element and there's no difference in HP on or off.......that's going to 5500rpm.

Clearance: I have ~1.5" clearance between the top of the scoop to the top of the filter. My scoop is 1" taller with a 2" carb spacer, which will be the same as you running a low scoop and 1" spacer.

K&N only make a 9x3 or a 9x5 (plus about an extra 1/2" for the base). They also make a custom oval, stretched type shape filter that specifically fills up all of the hole inside the hornet scoop.

If you don't use your 1" carb spacer you can use a standard 14x3" filter, under the bonnet as per normal.You can also add a K&N extreme filter top (14" or 9"), but they're hexy on the $$. You probably wouldn't need one for your setup. Try your new filter on and off (without extreme top).......if there's no change, keep your $$.

Modding a tall scoop: the base that makes it taller is just attached with 4 screws and is easily removed.........instant short one.

What city are you in?
Old 12-17-2004, 20:21   #4 (permalink)

Assuming you're using an xcelerator or performer manifold etc.
Old 12-18-2004, 16:08   #5 (permalink)
82XE 351c

for now i am using a redline torker, but only real short term cause its been portmatched to diff heads....
and cause they're shit to start with! prob go either a high-rise torque power dual plane or just normal height performer air gap.....
I want to lift the air-filter up in the scoop, dont see much point not doing it if the 9" filter can flow enough. I will prob go an extreme top just for looks and the slight performance.
when you buy the setup, hows it come?
Base,Surround,Inside element and crome top?
how many parts to the setup is what i mean :p i think

got any good places who stock these online,pics?
i like the sound of the oval shape for the hornet! where will i find one.
thanks for the long descript TruBlu!
I guess for now i will get the oval type 9"x3" with crome top and see if it flows the same on/off and then go the extreme when i put the scoop on.... if the setup comes with the crome in the first place i mean, not gunna waste money on it if i hav to buy it sep, will go extreme first up in that case...
Old 12-18-2004, 22:22   #6 (permalink)

You can buy them as a complete kit (ie: filter, chrome base & lid) or just the filter element by itself.

Here's the K&N website, just look up the part number(s) you want and get an auto/performance shop to order it, if they don't already have them on stock.

**Ammend my first post: the 9" only comes in 2 3/4" or 5" filter height (see link).

Main page:

http://knfilters.com/performance_accessories.htm

9" round

http://knfilters.com/Racing/custom.htm

Custom hornet filters

http://knfilters.com/Racing/custom66.htm

X-Stream lids:

http://knfilters.com/universal/X-stream.htm
Old 12-19-2004, 01:27   #7 (permalink)
82XE 351c

thanks TruBlu!!

a mate says he has 11" K&N filter up into normal hornet scoop..... why you use the 9"?
Old 12-19-2004, 04:03   #8 (permalink)
Whats traction?

I had to opt for a different scoop as i'd already bought the air filter setup. The 14" air filter is only the slightest bit too large so I reckon anything smaller than a 14" will fit with no problems.
Old 12-19-2004, 04:13   #9 (permalink)
Pro Street will never die

i have always used a 11 inch by 4 inch high filter on all cars with no problems ... good power and ease of clearence and yes the mid size hornet is not hard to cut down and it looks better as it is a moulded one peice item.......
xc460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 06:00   #10 (permalink)

Yep, after looking you're right, you could fit an 11" filter in. The hornet has just over a 9" wide hole stock, but there's room to cut it out to 11". Make sure you go a bit more for engine rock at idle and when you plant it, so the filter doesn't hit the edge. I just put an el'cheapo $30 buck complete assembly in to get it going.

The whole scoop is 14" wide, but taking away the rounded edges, the max room you'd have is about 12".

So...........the 3 1/2 x 11 looks like a good option, the 5" will be too tall (6" including base & top)..........and an extreme top if you need it.

Thanks for pointing that out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech