XE ESP Oil pressure fluctuation - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2004, 03:04   #1 (permalink)

XE ESP Oil pressure fluctuation

Hey guys looks like a great site. I am having a few issues with the oil system in my cleveland. I am on my third engine configuration now and it is really frustrating to not feel confident in the oil pressure. This motor is a 351C with 6" falcon six rods and a ground crank making it around 378cc. It also has a set of CHI alloy heads (Melbourne Australia) and a solid cam. I have fitted a Mellings high volume pump and a High Energy circuit racing Sump with trap doors windidge trays baffles and all the gear to stop oil starvation into those 200kmh corners. The motor is in a XE Esp Falcon and put down 340 bhp on the dyno. That was before I pulled the motor out again. I did this because the oil pressure guage was dropping away under high rpm a problem that prevented an all out dyno run as we were not game to rev it to the full 7000rpm. I thought this was due to the crank bearing clearances. This theory was proved incorrect after the hassle of pulling it out and measuring the clearances. So in with a new oil pump spring just in case, and put it back in the car. The damb thing is still flucktuating really badly it goes from about 100psi to sometimes 0psi when really driving it. This motor has new bearings, pistons rings, cam and bearing, all bearing clearances have been checked by a machinest with lots of cleveland experience and he says its its fine. He even put a bigger spring in the brand new Mellings pump. I thought of the guage which is a capilary type running from the back of the valley but I even tried 2 other guages and the same result. I Just want to drive it like It should be driven
Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2004, 03:52   #2 (permalink)

Re: XE ESP Oil pressure fluctuation

I hope its not the alloys!! Just kidding, but with my first build with alloy heads recently, i fired up my 351 and had crappy oilpressure. I only get about 45-50 pounds when hot and when i brake or corner, it drops down to about 15 pounds. I will be changing the oilpump on my chrissy holidays, and hoping that will cure it, and also a good check on the oil pickup position. Could be too low or high????
I,m like you, i wanna dyno it and drive it how its supposed to be driven.
Our of curiosity, what brand of lifter did you fit. Crower???
Old 12-05-2004, 05:49   #3 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Have you replaced the pump since the problem started? If the pressure gets too high the relief valve with actuate which you know. You may be in need of oil restrictors to prevent over pressurisation.

Brenden
Old 12-05-2004, 13:31   #4 (permalink)

I found excessive valve lash caused my low oil pressure problems! Believe it or not. When I adjusted the lash the proper way as apposed to the 90/180/270 method the oil pressure increased.
northiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 15:16   #5 (permalink)
Big Motor Top Loader !!

I had a similar problem...

see thread: Oil pressure drop under load and right hand turn 351C

I used the following new parts: standard mellings pump, standard pickup, ARP driveshaft and 8lt HighEnergy Sump. A little overkill, but solved the erratic pressure.

Good luck.
xrgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 23:49   #6 (permalink)

Hi guys just got back from the dyno and got a few other suggestions. Oh I spose you want to know how much horse power we got, well 340bhp is the best so far but only got 314 today. was more trying things out that people have suggested tried putting the oil line on the front of the block and but no different. This motor had a new mellings pump put in it so should not be the relief valve, but it has got a big nascar spring in it and it does go up to about 100psi ( the machinest was insistant it was not going to be the pump that gave it low oil psi) As I said before it is fine at idle it sits cold at 80 under revs 90-5 hot 60-85 I know this is probably too much but at least its not the pump. Another couple of theorys that have been thrown my way is that it could be lifter clearances, but the block was only a 302 stocker till I got it at 120,000kms and it only done 20000 since ive owned it so in the scheeme of things it is hard to emagine they would be worn much any way the motors coming back out 7th time on wed and going to pull the hole thing to bits this time and get a fresh set of eyes to look over it. Another theory is it may have a cracked internal oil gallery.
Old 12-06-2004, 00:05   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer
. Another theory is it may have a cracked internal oil gallery.
I hope that's not why i got my standard bore pillowblock for only $100.
Still, i'm leaning towards pickup problems. I am pissed off, and i would only be going on 3 motor pullouts.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:51   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer
and it does go up to about 100psi ( the machinest was insistant it was not going to be the pump that gave it low oil psi) As I said before it is fine at idle it sits cold at 80 under revs 90-5 hot 60-85 I know this is probably too much but at least its not the pump.
If I am reading this correctly it sounds like you don't have a problem anymore, that it's not dropping out to nothing like it was?

I have a solid cammed 378 Stroker, oil pressure sits on 70psi cold, 55 psi hot, but has always fallen away slightly at higher revs. I was of the understanding this is normal for a solid cammed engine.

Curious what are your cam specs?
Old 12-06-2004, 03:57   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKEXD
If I am reading this correctly it sounds like you don't have a problem anymore, that it's not dropping out to nothing like it was?

I have a solid cammed 378 Stroker, oil pressure sits on 70psi cold, 55 psi hot, but has always fallen away slightly at higher revs. I was of the understanding this is normal for a solid cammed engine.

Curious what are your cam specs?
No we loaded it up on the dyno today and did two power runs and then locked the dyno up and sat it at 3000 rpm and just held it there and watched the oil pressure drop to 35psi before backing out of it. and when i mean drop its not exactly slow it goes down roughly 10psi every second or to. now that was at 3000 rpm it did it worse the otherday with my brother driving it in frustratiion to see he reved it too 6000 for a while just with the normal dash guage in and it dropped to just above the red. It used to be fine and sit on 3/4 all the time until it did the cam so Im actually wandering if there is not something still in the oil galleries and the dude hasnt cleaned it out properly or something stupid. its like you accellerate and the psi builds all the way to anywhere between 80-90psi then all of a sudden it just starts to drop about as fast as it came down to 40 even lower under real load. Get back to me on those specs ill have another look on the cam card tommorrow, it's not a huge cam but it sure works, it actually made 340bhp and 550ftp tourque at 4500 but that was a shassy dyno and ive been told tourque figures are not allways that accurate that way.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:35   #10 (permalink)

i have been told that clevo's throw all their oil up to their heads at high RPM and i am going to put a oil restrictor kit in my engine whilst i rebuild that soon to stop that, that could be your problem. Just a thought
V8_GRUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech