XE Falcon fuel line upgrade - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2005, 18:02   #1 (permalink)
82XE 351c

Question XE Falcon fuel line upgrade

Hey guys
its time to upgrade the fuel line in my XE. I was advised to go either 1 Holley blue pump and 3/8 line OR 2 Holley blues and 1/2 line.
I am sure 1 Holley blue is enough for me and I am lead to believe that 1 Blue and 1/2line will effect performance in a bad way as appose to 3/8 line.

Can you guys run me through the things I will need to consider please;

Do i have to use cooper lines? is the hard blue rubber stuff good enough?
What will need to be done to my fuel tank? is the current pickup and pickup position good enough?

Is there anything else that I should look at?

Cheers
pracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2005, 20:06   #2 (permalink)

Re: XE Falcon fuel line upgrade

I've used an electric fuel pump (can't remember which one) with 7/16" rubber fuel line without any dramas. Thats the same size that the GT's ran, and might suit your application. Check the size of the outlet from your tank - if it's 3/8" it might restrict the flow a bit.
LukeGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 21:01   #3 (permalink)

Yes 1 holley blue and 1/2" fuel line is plenty. You can use copper line from rear to front. Or you van buy the anodoised fuel line from VPW which is enough to do it for about $79. I would go 1/2" incase later on you pit more power in to it. If you running standard fuel tank you can get someone to weld a pod onto the bottom of the tank. And put 1/2" outlet on it. Or put a fuel cell in boot like alot of guys do. But if you want to keep it original just modify your existing pickup tube. Holley blue pumps work better when they are gravity fed rather than sucking.
crochunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 21:26   #4 (permalink)
82XE 351c

well the tank is palstic as is with most XE's. this will make moddifying the pickup hard i am assuming. :(
redcliffe dyno says 1 holley blue with 1/2 line doesn't work, you think it does?
I would like to run 1/2 for later on, but not if it means I need 2 blues to make it work!

I havn't got the money for a cell or anything, this is just something I have come upon because of AF ratio on dyno. I am trying to get this doen cheap! i mean...
pracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 21:59   #5 (permalink)
ESP Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by pracy
well the tank is palstic as is with most XE's. this will make moddifying the pickup hard i am assuming. :(
redcliffe dyno says 1 holley blue with 1/2 line doesn't work, you think it does?
I would like to run 1/2 for later on, but not if it means I need 2 blues to make it work!

I havn't got the money for a cell or anything, this is just something I have come upon because of AF ratio on dyno. I am trying to get this doen cheap! i mean...
You can't do anything cheap. Just do it right the 1st time. Cost me about $800 to have 1/2" line, electric pump and presure regulator installed inc the pickup modified

Unscrew the pickup from the top of the tank (remove the plate in boot to get to it and remove the lines first) and take it to someone who like a radiator repair shop who can run another tube in to the fitting 4 u. You can either replace the existing one with a larger one or add another one and then join these two smaller pipes together with a T fitting for your 1/2" line.

There have been plenty of threads on this topic with lots of pics so do a search and you will see what others have done. Not much room to mount the pump on an XD/E. They put mine in the left side bootwell. Best place for regulator is forward of the carby so fuel is being pulled by gravity when accelerating. Also, don't mount the regulator on the engine where it heat transfers the temp into the fuel - colder the fuel stays the better. I put some of that reflective shield stuff that slips over the pipe where the line travels above the headers - see pic

I mounted my reg on the back of the D/S shock tower where it is out of the way and almost parallel with the carb. I can still adjust the reg without fouling the brake master cyl
Old 07-20-2005, 22:55   #6 (permalink)

I run 1/2 lines with a single holley blue. I now wonder if thats why it
falls over a bit sometimes. My motor has "underperformed" compared
to others with the same combo, so who knows. I would listen to your
dyno guy and fit 2, or one that you know will handle it.
xdclevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 01:33   #7 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

@ 230rwkw or so a 3/8th line should be fine. Although look @ xbwgn's ex-wagon. It ran 252rwkw with the standard 5/16th line. No fuel issues whatso ever. I'd try and run with it just using the pump first and see what happens. If you need to redo lines? Go from there.

1/2" gives volume but if the pump can't pump that volume at the right presssure it'll hurt performance.

3/8" gives less volume but will give a higher pressure.

I never had an issue with a Holley blue and 1/2" lines till the pump died. I think it may not have been able to cope pushing all the fuel without a return line? I fitted a Mallory 140 (massive cost difference) it's been there for about 3 or so years now. It gets a little noisey when hot.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:54   #8 (permalink)
The Deputy Dogg.

Holley blue's are noisy as all f@#k, i use a Mallory 140, it's much quieter and will do the job on it's own, btw my setup has 3/8" fuel lines and they do the job, but if i was starting from scratch, i woud go 1/2".
Old 07-21-2005, 03:54   #9 (permalink)

I had standard fuel lines with a carter electric pump and would run the bowls dry in the high rpms. I then put 1/2" lines on, never had the same problem again. With new combo , i now run a single holley blue with the same lines.
xw383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 05:04   #10 (permalink)

1/2" fuel line and 1 holley blue they reckon dont work. I ran 10.5 in full street trim xd didnt have a problem.
crochunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech