Ford Forums banner

XE Falcon Mod - XY Shaker

21K views 47 replies 13 participants last post by  4Vman 
#1 ·
Hey guys

I am just about finished putting my 351c into my XE falcon, and I am wanting to put a shaker on top.

Has anyone got a shaker on an XE already?
any probs with police etc?

also does anyone know a good cheap place for setups, I have heaps of books but I cant get a good look. Would preferr all Black top/no lines painted....
When you buy the shaker setup, do they come with the bottom part where the element is contained?

one more, if I fit a shaker now, and then change my intake manifold, still low rise, will I have issues, will it change much in height around the bonnet?
any probs with bonnet strength?
sorry this questions are everywhere :)

Thx in advance
cheers Pracy

p.s. someone tell me I can have a dual exhaust with the plastic tank, I dont care if they come out the same side...aslong as it works?....

See less See more
#29 ·
pracy said:
strokexd, would you rather a smaller filter, maybe 9" to fit up through the hole?
or is the way u have it, how its staying?

what is the biggest size filter u could fit up into a hornet scoop?

cheers!
A 9 inch round is the biggest diameter, then vertical height is all up to spacer/manifold/carby height etc.

I was quite suprised with my 9x3" choker! It doesn't make much difference on or off. With a bigger HP, higher revving motor there would be.

#30 ·
Yeah Tru-Blu I keep hearing stuff like that. But maybe it's athstetics as well, but the part of my brain that is mathematical just can't accept these small air-cleaners.. 750 cfm is 750 cubic feet every minute after all.. That's 13 cu ft per second and that's a shitload of air to move through something so small.

#31 ·
STROKEXD said:
Yeah Tru-Blu I keep hearing stuff like that. But maybe it's athstetics as well, but the part of my brain that is mathematical just can't accept these small air-cleaners.. 750 cfm is 750 cubic feet every minute after all.. That's 13 cu ft per second and that's a shitload of air to move through something so small.
Couldn't agree more. But spinning my 351 to 5500 only requires 550cfm of the 750 potential. Still a fair bit, but a 351 only sucks 750cfm when @ 7400rpm. Thats why I personally only saw about 2HP difference on/off. Physics is physics and agree there's no way it could allow full flow to a set of race heads and big cam.

Although not ideal, it currently serves as more of an interim street convenience.

#32 ·
Brand New metal replica shakers can be had for $1000.00. If you know anyone who wants one drop me a PM. These are the closest thing to the real thing that is currently on the market today. They are identical to the PH3 XY shaker.

Regards

Troy

#35 ·
TruBlu351 said:
Couldn't agree more. But spinning my 351 to 5500 only requires 550cfm of the 750 potential. Still a fair bit, but a 351 only sucks 750cfm when @ 7400rpm. Thats why I personally only saw about 2HP difference on/off. Physics is physics and agree there's no way it could allow full flow to a set of race heads and big cam.

Although not ideal, it currently serves as more of an interim street convenience.
Hey people
I to thought about the shaker when i was building mine im lucky i didnt cause with the taller intake manifolds like TFCs and Funnelwebs in an xd (although im running a windsor bottom end) the top part of the carby sticks thru the bonnet even without the 2" spacer on i had dramas gettin a large enough air cleaner that was going to flow well to fit under my hornet scoop which was basically my only alternative. Id suggest to wait and see when the motors in and check the amount of space ull actually have, i do know that a K&N air filter with extreme top and a hornet scoop does flow better than a shaker so i guess it depends what your going for looks or maximum HorsePower :)

Attachments

#38 ·
pracy said:
well i didn't choose them but thats the dish both my mech and ACL wanted for 2v closed 351 running at about 10:1...
they do looked dished though dont they!! cost me a fair bit more then normal acl kit
If you havn't shaved the heads of block, i will bet you a carton of p!ss you dont have 10:1 with dished pistons. What cc is listed for the dish. Is sounds again like the old "closed chamber gives 12:1" wives tail that gets around.

#40 ·
no my mech was looking at 10.5 to 10.9:1 before the dish, nothing higher.
not specs on the dish here with me and i cant rem what it was though.....

hows this going to effect me if its too large?
I very much doubt it is though, as my mech has been messing with clevo's for ages!!

#43 ·
pracy said:
I very much doubt it is though, as my mech has been messing with clevo's for ages!!
I would ask your mechanic some questions. If they didn't get it right, you could have comp in the mid to high 8:1's, which can be bad for several reasons. I know some "die hard" clevo guys that own and build good motors, but swear to me their closed chamber 4v 351 has 11.5:1 just with standard 4v heads and flat tops. This is because they assume they know the cpmp ratio, but never acually worked it out. Just ask your mechanics some fuigures and i will tell you if they are on the money or not. Better now than later ah.
Ask: head cc
piston dish cc
and deck height in thou.

#45 ·
pracy said:
well when i say 10:1 i am rounding, i am pretty sure he said 9.8 or maybe 9.9:1.
how would a 351c on PULP handle this? loose power still from too low comp?
With less than 10:1 you can usually run on standard unleaded. No need for pulp. Pulps only needed for high comp engines.

Brenden

#46 ·
I know a guy who had his 4V GT motor rebuilt and they used dished pistons (without asking) and he ended up with the equilivent of open chamber performance, quite a let down, and sluggish slug to drive compared to the 10.5:1 flat top/4V closed chamber combo he could have had.
Id ask some serious questions of your engine builder....

#47 ·
I am pretty sure ESP has used these pistons aswell....
looked on the box etc everywhere i dont hav the cc here. I have it on the specs from my machinist.
how much power diff between the two?
9.9:1 2v closed 351 hyd 2200-5500 crow 21665
or
10.8:1 2v closed ...
i am guessing 10.8:1 with flattops.
keeping in mind i was looking to avoid detonation!

#48 ·
You would have got a much better result adjusting the closed chamber heads to suit flat top pistons by laying back the chambers and unshrouding the valves than fitting dished pistons, as others have noted id say your comp would be more like 8.8:1 than 9.9:1 judging by the size of the dish.
Remember the volumne of the dish is equilivent to what you could remove from the chamber to achieve the same cc. It would probably come close to the equilivent of using open chamber heads so im not sure why anyone would run these pistons unless you're going to fit a blower or turbo.
As far as power goes the cam you're using is relatively small so maybe he's dropped compression to compensate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.