XF 351 .. a quick qn - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2002, 19:10   #1 (permalink)

XF 351 .. a quick qn

Hi all, ..

We are a fair way to completing the Clevo into the XF project, .. and I have a little query that I am hoping that ppl here can help me with ..

#1 : the vacuum canister in the XF (its an 85 ghia), up in next to the wiper motor and assembly normally sticks out toward the engine bay with a little plastic tounge. We have removed it from its hiding place and are filling up the hole, along with a few others. My question is based around the fact that we are using a vacuum canister for the brake booster anyway (because of the large cam), .. is there any reason why we couldnt use this vacuum canister to fulfill the role of the stock plastic XF one aswell?

-Ac-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2002, 23:50   #2 (permalink)
xe 351

not an answer to your question but...

i remember you talking about this car on another forum ages ago, in particular about custom twin airboxes you were having made??

have you had these airboxes made and if so do you have any pics, or while your at it any pics at all of the build up?
thumpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 01:20   #3 (permalink)
must stay under 0.25 ppd.

What is/was the original vacuum canister for?
Old 08-25-2002, 17:30   #4 (permalink)

The Airboxes ..

I have a few pics of the buildup, .. I'll organise them over the next few weeks and show whats been going on :) ..

.. The airboxes are done, and are in need of the final welding and fitting, .. other than that .. they are as I had hoped. They use 2 x EB falc filters (one on each side),

.. and have 3inch inlets / outlets .. with the air dam intakes where the fog lights would normally be on the XF,

.. the airdams are fiberglass, and I only have the prototype ones ready at the moment, .. but will finish them off in the next couple of weeks.

so yeah, .. things are really moving along.

Tonyk : I have no idea what it is used for stock, .. but I am thinking that as everything is vacuum operated, .. it must be a resevior of some kind?

-Ac-
Old 08-25-2002, 17:49   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by tonyk
What is/was the original vacuum canister for?
Have a look at this link. I asked the same question a while ago

Cheers
Matt
Old 08-25-2002, 18:45   #6 (permalink)

not that one

its not the carbon canister, I know what that does :) ..

this is under the windscreen, in the center of the firewall, facing forward in a little black nozzle. it resembles 9 black plastic balls. I seem to remember that a black vacuum line was attached to it.

thats all it is, .. only one line in.

I should take a pic of it tonight ..

-Ac-
Old 08-25-2002, 22:01   #7 (permalink)

I think i know what your talking about. But mine is under the dash on the passengers side. Need to actually remove the dash to get access to it. I assume that it is like a reservoir of vacuum for the vent controls. It looks exactly how you described it, but maybe the one your talking about is different....
Old 08-25-2002, 23:09   #8 (permalink)
Australian BA XR6 Falcon

Its used to store vacuum for the HVAC controls.
I'm sure that if you remove it entirely, you will find the demist/heat/face operation will be affected when engine revs rise/fall.

I don't think using a different canister would be a problem, in fact I made one out of a Milo tin once and it worked fine for a while, damm thing eventually got sucked to death though!!

Kieron
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 23:25   #9 (permalink)

-

Thanks for the info, ..

.. I'll look at it a bit more tonight and make a decision of where its going to go (the new vacuum can) and see if it makes a big difference when on!

I always wondered what it was for..

-Ac-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech