XM coupe clevo conversion - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2006, 22:09   #1 (permalink)

XM coupe clevo conversion

Anybody here put a cleveland V8 into an XM coupe before? How hard is it and on top of the actual engine, gearbox and diff how much would the conversion cost? Thanks anyone with some info.
Jimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2006, 00:47   #2 (permalink)

Re: XM coupe clevo conversion

Never seen a clevo in one of these but seen tons of windsor conversions. I would be heading down that path first before considering the 351c.
PS,you can stroke your little 302w out to 347 with one of the many crank kits available.
russxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 00:55   #3 (permalink)
New toy in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimma
Anybody here put a cleveland V8 into an XM coupe before? How hard is it and on top of the actual engine, gearbox and diff how much would the conversion cost? Thanks anyone with some info.
I have been hear, you will need to shave the shocker towers for it to fit and you will not be able to run any rocker cover bigger that the factory stock ones. Now as for the exhaust you will have to get them made obvously or you can leave the stock manifolds in place and run it that way.As for the trans you will have no trouble with that at all.
ch7472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 01:25   #4 (permalink)

I saw one today at the swap meet in richmond, it used std cast exhaust manifolds, there was about 5mm gap only on each side, but overall it fit fiarly well and looked factory. It still used a top brace but it was removable and one piece, looked like an early mustang one.
LTD351V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 15:03   #5 (permalink)
Boost Is for Pussies

I have heard that a Mitsubishi L300 front suspension can be bolted under those early falcons and mustantgs and the shock towers removed completely, might be the way to go to get clearance in the bay.
Old 02-19-2006, 22:59   #6 (permalink)

I was after a more straightforward conversion than that much ****ing around. Is the swap to Windsor a little more wallet friendly?
Jimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 01:47   #7 (permalink)
CLEVO KID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimma
I was after a more straightforward conversion than that much ****ing around. Is the swap to Windsor a little more wallet friendly?
Its alot of pissing around Jimma, a mate put a 351 boss into one he had to cut alot of the inner shock tower away ,then spent over a 150 hours on the headers and he is a professional engineer and reckons he would'nt go that way again?.-I myself put a windsor into an XM and it was a easy conversion
potty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 06:01   #8 (permalink)

Jim,
the windsor is certainly more wallet friendly!
Forget the L300 conversion. If you REALLY want a clevo, then replace the front suspension and fit shock tower notching kits. The guys at RRS produce some really whizz bang gear....absolutley top notch!!

http://www.rrs-online.com.au/

Cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech