XY convert 351 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2004, 02:14   #1 (permalink)
Afroboy

Question XY convert 351

Hi All,
after many years of toiling i am finally converting my grandfather's 71 XY Falcon from a 250 to a 351. Originally a country car, it is as straight as and feel a final complement would be a V8 under the hood.I have read through the clevo tech forum and found some good info from a previous thread about an XA V8 conversion. A few questions i have are all related to the conversion.
Is a donor car a good option for bits n pieces?
Because i will be upgrading from the stock tranny to a C4 are there any extra/different mounts required to hold her in? I will be fitting a 9inch to the rear, i assume there is a tailshaft length difference between the current stock compared to a C4 and 9inch.
As well brakes and front end, will upgrade springs and shocks( there is wishbone in the back, can this be changed to springs?), as well do i require different callipers and rotors for the v8 brake setup?

I have moved up to Cairns reciently and am looking for a good place to help out with the conversion, can anyone recommend a good place?

Many cheers, this is a plan has been in the making for the best part of 8 years, and am keen to get it rollin,
Dave
afroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2004, 19:52   #2 (permalink)
Buff XC

Re: XY convert 351

Donor cars are normally best as you know you will have every required part, no matter how insignificant! the problem is having room to store it.

as far as i know there will be no need for a tailshaft change, as the lengths did not change till the introduction of 5 speed man./4 speed autos.

Don't be to concerned about the conversion to the v8 brakes unless u feel the current brakes are inadequate. my XC still has the stock brakes as they were above average.

i would imagine the c4 will bolt up fine. what box do you have in the XY now?
XC Falcon Sedan, monza red/jet black, 351C, twin 2.25" zorst, T5 V8-spec with CRS bell-housing, AU thermofans, 3.23 LSD diff, dual fuel, rally-pack spec, black/red interior, cruise control, sports seats, 17x8 ROH Drift-R's.
164rwkw - 15.3 @ 92.5
Pilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 20:15   #3 (permalink)
Afroboy

I went and spoke to a brake and suspension mob today, the XY has front disc; rear drum combo so they said it would be fine to run a V8 with that. She currently has a three speed auto (cruisematic?? i would think) and standard diff. It also comes with a 250 engine (2v which from my knowledge is a less common 250 engine. Is this engine going to be worth a few more bucks?).
If the tailshaft fits the combo that would be great. I agree the problem with a donor is the space!! From what i have read, the usual parts that will be needed will be accelerator linkage, some wiring etc. Now that i know that i do not need to upgrade brakes etc i dont think that i will need a donor car. This XY is in mint condition so except for any other little conversion bits i'm sure that most things will be covered.

Still cant decide between a 302 or 351. Have had both before, but still want to drive her round a bit which i found limited with the 351. Will be reconditioning to take unleaded either way and will be at least looking for some up and go. Do you have some good cam/stall/diff ratios that are a good combo?
Old 11-14-2004, 20:23   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by afroboy
Hi All,
after many years of toiling i am finally converting my grandfather's 71 XY Falcon from a 250 to a 351. Originally a country car, it is as straight as and feel a final complement would be a V8 under the hood.I have read through the clevo tech forum and found some good info from a previous thread about an XA V8 conversion. A few questions i have are all related to the conversion.
Is a donor car a good option for bits n pieces?
Because i will be upgrading from the stock tranny to a C4 are there any extra/different mounts required to hold her in? I will be fitting a 9inch to the rear, i assume there is a tailshaft length difference between the current stock compared to a C4 and 9inch.
As well brakes and front end, will upgrade springs and shocks( there is wishbone in the back, can this be changed to springs?), as well do i require different callipers and rotors for the v8 brake setup?

I have moved up to Cairns reciently and am looking for a good place to help out with the conversion, can anyone recommend a good place?

Many cheers, this is a plan has been in the making for the best part of 8 years, and am keen to get it rollin,
Dave
V8 brakes are identical to six cyl ones as long as they are disks. Rear ends are all leaf spring, dont understand what you mean by wishbone?
You will need a V8 throttle linkage as well.
regds,
tote
Tote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 22:52   #5 (permalink)
Buff XC

i was also stumped by the mention of wishbone rear end. i thought it was typically reffered to as live axle? is the standard box than just a c4 or c10 that is currently capable of handling a 6? i ain't familiar with pre XA falcons.

How is a 351 impractical compared to a 302? if you are wanting a bit of balls the first and most obvious option is a 351.

good news 'bout the brakes though. best cam/stall/diff ratios has been discussed in more threads than you can poke a stick at, just read around and keep in mind your goal!!!
XC Falcon Sedan, monza red/jet black, 351C, twin 2.25" zorst, T5 V8-spec with CRS bell-housing, AU thermofans, 3.23 LSD diff, dual fuel, rally-pack spec, black/red interior, cruise control, sports seats, 17x8 ROH Drift-R's.
164rwkw - 15.3 @ 92.5
Pilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 00:37   #6 (permalink)

I have just bought myself a donor car and can honestly say it was the best 150 bucks i have spent. Having said that i am not so sure a donor car will be warranted with such a simple conversion,unless you find one at the right price that has a decent driveline as well.Bargains are out there,you just have to be patient or just plain lucky. This would have to be the cheapest way to go.If you wanted to build your engine and driveline and source all of the components individually then it will obviously cost heaps more. A ll the x series facons have similar builds as well so you can source parts from a wide variety of models.What sort of budget do you have to work with?
russxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 01:31   #7 (permalink)
Afroboy

Not sure of any other name for the rear suspension cept for wishbone, dunno where i picked that up, but she aint springs?
I agree if your talking upgrade, go the mutha 351. Was back out today, looks like there arent many 302 runners anyway, so the guys are ringing round to sort out a 351 (didn't take much convincing after havin a chat with them).
Cheers to Pilch for the referal for sum threads on ratios, will check 'em out.
As for the donor car, i will have to look round if i cant find a motor and box up here. Will hit the wreckers tomorro, see what i can find, my wife's an awesome girl, but dunno how a donor in the front yard would go down!
Old 11-15-2004, 01:37   #8 (permalink)

If you do put a 351 in make sure you use the 351 tailshaft as it is alot bigger then the 302 and 6 cyl ones you don't want to snap it
stu351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 20:31   #9 (permalink)
The Old Bloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilch
Don't be to concerned about the conversion to the v8 brakes unless u feel the current brakes are inadequate. my XC still has the stock brakes as they were above average.
XY V8's generally had 1' master cyclinders and larger power boosters. The V8 master cyclinder will bolt up to a 6 power booster. This is the only difference between V8's and 6's with front disks and rear drums. QTA will probably insist on the larger master cyclinder anyway and it gives a much better feel to the brakes.

Engine conversion requirement in Qld is that the brake system matchs the engine. So although the disks and drums are the same master cyclinder and power booter must be the same also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afroboy
Not sure of any other name for the rear suspension cept for wishbone, dunno where i picked that up, but she aint springs?
The rear suspension on all pre XF (or maybe XE, never sure when they changed) are "leaf springs" they are long flat springs instead of coil springs in the later model sedans. Late model utes still use leaf springs. So they are springs just not coil springs.

The wishbone suspension is the front upper suspension arm, it looks like a wishbone from a chook thus the name.

If you are going with a 9" diff would suggest changing to 4 wheel disks anyway. Much better in the wet of the tropical north.

Regards
Ross
"Your going to put WHAT in there"
Engineers comment about the 5.0 Lt EFI transplant to the Capri.
50LtCapri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 21:09   #10 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu351
If you do put a 351 in make sure you use the 351 tailshaft as it is alot bigger then the 302 and 6 cyl ones you don't want to snap it
I wouldn't be too concerned with the tailshaft unless your going beyong 450hp@ the wheels. I haven't hurt my tailshaft yet and I've been trying. I've hurt everything else just not the tailshaft.

Brenden
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech