185Kw engine - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2003, 13:14   #1 (permalink)
black xr8

185Kw engine

as much as i would like to say i have the time to go through all these engine mods but i dont . what sort of power increases would i be looking at with an exhaust pod filter and maybe unichip (if i can convince the missus) out of my 185 xr8
chrisxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2003, 15:15   #2 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

Re: 185Kw engine

Extractors and Exhaust will probably get 10-15rwkw.
Pod Filter - don't get one - get a panel to suit the air-box - probably 1 rwkw max, but it might be more responsive.
Unichip - I dunno. I depends on how well its tuned. There has been varying opinions on how well they work - I'd do a quick search and see what comes up it. I'd guess maybe 10-15rwkw tho.
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 03:08   #3 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Unless it's modified in some way the std eec will be better!!! The maf is very small 55mm..Yes exhaust..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 03:12   #4 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

Exhaust and headers will do it a world of good. Anything from 10-20rwkW from this. Pod filter - waste of time. Get a traditional K&N panel filter and duct a cold air feed to your airbox. Just remember though, that after exhaust mods, noticeable improvements in power comes at a high cost. You will be looking at pricey intake parts, and/or head/cam/rocker changes.

The factory ECU is pretty good and so long as it is allowed to "re-learn" regularly (ie. disconnect battery for a few hours, reconnect and drive the tits out of it for a good 1/2 hr).
Old 11-04-2003, 06:32   #5 (permalink)
Previously XR8_Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sparkle
Exhaust and headers will do it a world of good. Anything from 10-20rwkW from this. Pod filter - waste of time. Get a traditional K&N panel filter and duct a cold air feed to your airbox.

The factory ECU is pretty good and so long as it is allowed to "re-learn" regularly (ie. disconnect battery for a few hours, reconnect and drive the tits out of it for a good 1/2 hr).
I guess from the exhaust thing you said this must have a restrictive system? I also have this motor and am considering options, mines an AUII XR8 ute though so it may differ from sedan exhausts i don't know.

Could you explain the re-learn thing you mentioned? I didn't know a factory system can do this. Did you mean after you modify the car or just occasionally. At the momtent i've simply changed the filter element to a K&N panel, although i'm assuming it will do little, should i re-learn the cpu anyway?

(sorry to steal your thread chris)
-Nemesis- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 13:20   #6 (permalink)
black xr8

no problems i was a little curious myself. I guess i will be stuffing my air box back in and geting rid of the pod (it sounds pretty cool though).as to the exhaust being restrictive im pretty sure it is you can bearly hear it even at full throttle

any one hear from Qld north of brissie it would be good to see someone that has already done some of these mods
chrisxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 13:58   #7 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

In the EL2 185kW engine, the standard exhaust and manifold is pretty restricted. I changed my EL2 to stainless Genie headers and a full dual 2.5" system with Lukey mufflers, and it was worth every cent! Dynoed before and after with nearly 20rwkW improvement.

The ECU "learning" is pretty simple - when the battery is disconnected for a period (normally a couple of hours), the ECU goes into a "learn" mode once it is connected back up again. Basically it performs some simple calibrations depending on your driving style, and I generally try and drive fairly hard for around 20-30km. It is important to do this when you have fitted new mods, but doesn't hurt to do it every few months anyway just to give things a freshen up.

The AU2 XR8 (220kW) has a pretty reasonable exhaust system, but the 200kW one is still fairly restricted.
Old 11-05-2003, 04:19   #8 (permalink)
Previously XR8_Ute

Ahh ok thanks for the info. Mine is the AU2 but being a ute and Fords ass dragging it still has the 185Kw engine in it. Unlike Chris though, it is quite loud as is, inside the cabin. Not so much outside i'm guessing though.
Old 11-08-2003, 22:10   #9 (permalink)
Previously XR8_Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sparkle
(ie. disconnect battery for a few hours, reconnect and drive the tits out of it for a good 1/2 hr).
I did on Saturday. Still waiting till Monday to get Security Code for my stereo now :(
Old 11-08-2003, 23:03   #10 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8_Ute
I did on Saturday. Still waiting till Monday to get Security Code for my stereo now :(
Ah yes - a side effect I no longer have thanks to aftermarket head unit! Send a PM to Partsguy and he can help you out with it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech