2001 XR8 Engines - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2005, 14:46   #1 (permalink)

2001 XR8 Engines

Does anyone know what the build details were of 2001 XR8 engines? Was more than 1 build offered with different power outputs? If yes, how can they be differentiated from one another.

The reason I'm asking is that I've just bought one from a burnt-out wreck. It was sold as a Tickford XR8 220kW but I would like to double-check. The bad news is that I can't check injectors or other melt-able items as they were destroyed in the fire.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers
xafalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2005, 18:40   #2 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Re: 2001 XR8 Engines

The 220kw engines were released in June 2001, before that they were 200kw. Easiest way to identify the 220kw engines is by looking at the throttle body. The 220kw engines has a 1 piece (TB and EGR spacer) 70mm TB with the tickford emblem cast into the top, whereas the 200kw engines got the standard 65mm TB with seperate EGR spacer plate.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 04:08   #3 (permalink)

ED XR8 you obviously know your engines, can you please tell me when the crank trigger system replaced the dizzy on windsors? did ordinary Falcons get this system or only XR's ?

Also - what US Fords after 1995 had the crank trigger windsors ? (I think the Ford Explorer but anything else?

Thanks
Marshall
marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 05:31   #4 (permalink)

All AU V8's had coil pack ignition, prior to that all the E-series ran the dizzy. I am not sure about the US engines, like you I think the late model Explorer engines did but not sure what else.
Old 11-20-2005, 23:42   #5 (permalink)

Thanks EDXR8. Any idea of the engine build details for the 200kW and 220kW engines? I'm guessing they both run the same GT40P heads and shortblock internals. So did the 220's get a better cam and perhaps roller rockers for the extra 20kW?

Cheers
Old 11-20-2005, 23:47   #6 (permalink)

The 220kw engines got a larger 70mm TB (200's had 65mm), different cam, slight changes tot he exhaust and EEC programing but the biggest difference was in the heads. The 200's got standard GT40P heads while the 220kw ones were modified by Yella Terra with larger valves, some minor porting in the bowl area and port matching. The 220kw intake manifold was also port matched to the heads and TB.
Old 11-22-2005, 21:41   #7 (permalink)

So I should be able to swap this engine for the 165kW one in my EB once I replace injectors (with 19lb units) and the other melted parts? Will the stock air flow meter be a serious drain on power?

Thanks
Old 11-22-2005, 21:46   #8 (permalink)

Yep you can just bolt up the EB parts tot he AU motor, the 55mm will be a bit of a restriction but it should still be ok. Seeing the engine was damaged by fire I you will need to replace pretty much every sensor and I am not sure how good some of the gaskets would be (I guess that depends on how hot it got).
Old 11-23-2005, 00:21   #9 (permalink)

Thanks again EDXR8.

I haven't got the engine yet, it's being delivered on Monday so I'll know how badly fire damaged it is once it arrives. I was figuring on changing all the heat sensitive parts like water pump, balancer, all sensors (but keeping the explorer manifold and throttle body) and wiring. I'll also need to put a distributor into it. I have all these parts as spares so it's no cost, just time. Also much easier to swap them before the engine goes into the car.

Anything else to watch out for, or must do?

Cheers
Old 11-27-2005, 00:36   #10 (permalink)

Just got the engine - it has the Tickford emblem cast into the throttle body and no egr plate (did these engines have egr?). Looks like I got lucky with a 220kW motor.

The fire has melted all the sensors, wiring, the power steering pump plastic bits and fuel rail plastic bits. But the heat never got down to even the water pump so the damage is limited to basic stuff. Except for the ISC which is also stuffed. Are these interchangable with EB vintage ISC's?

Other than that, a new set of rocker covers, a bead blast for the intake and swaping all the sensors and I think I'm away.

One other question, can I bolt on a set of 1.7:1 ('93 Mustang Cobra) roller rockers without any piston to valve interference problems? I have a set that I was going to install on my current motor but now I've got a new motor they would be better suited for that.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech