Ford Forums banner

300kw from a ef xr8 5.0L

6K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  ebxr8240 
#1 ·
ok i know it is possible but how much do yous rekon itll cost aiming for this figure, im thinking between after market heads and the rest 6-7k any advice

#4 ·
300kw at the wheels, or at the engine???? 300kw at the engine = 347 stroker with all the good gear bigish cam trickflow minifold, might be able to get away with the gt40 heads but some aftermarket alloy ones would be better and a piggy back computer. if you want 300kw at the wheels then forget 6-7k for sure. for startes you probably need a better block as the windsor might be getting a little stressed with that power probably a sportsman block would do. i am looking at getting a dart block big $$$$ but thats the price of big power.

cheers

#5 ·
yea looking for 300kw at the crank n/a, ive seen a 350hp (260kw) kit that included cam, heads, manifolds, and timingchains and other bits from the states and that was 3k auz i know the manifold is reversed but its from holley so it shouldnt be to hard to get a reversed version. it also reccomends the use of ****** t/b and maf bigger injecters and headers. so how hard would it be to get another 40kw on top of that.

#8 ·
Sorry to hijack this thread. I own an EL V8 Auto and I am looking at getting similar power. It is fully stock at the moment but I was just wondering what are some good things to do for a mild engine. I am looking at a lukey 3 inch system, edelbrock manifold and heads (what are some good ones for street use?), yella terra roller rockers, crow cam, k&n filter and XR8 snorkel. How much power approx will this produce and what else will I need to upgrade with these modifications? Cheers guys.

#9 · (Edited)
I dont think 300kw from a 302 is going to be terribly enjoyable. You would be best to stroke it to give yourself a head start.

Unless you want to throw a blower on it. Im not a real big fan of centrifugal blowers. 300kw peak power is virtually worthless on the street, and below that off boost it would be very soggy. I'd prefer the 260kw N/A option you mentioned any day over the blower option with bigger virtually meaningless numbers.

#10 ·
Powerdyne maybe but Vortech and such are way better.They are bigger and have better flow at lower rpm...

#11 ·
Racer said:
I dont think 300kw from a 302 is going to be terribly enjoyable. You would be best to stroke it to give yourself a head start.

Unless you want to throw a blower on it. Im not a real big fan of centrifugal blowers. 300kw peak power is virtually worthless on the street, and below that off boost it would be very soggy. I'd prefer the 260kw N/A option you mentioned any day over the blower option with bigger virtually meaningless numbers.
Just curious, why do you think that with a Vortech-type centrifigual supercharger, the car will be very doughy at low RPM?? As far as I can see, there will be more power at all RPM, just the gain of power should increase as the revs rise. A 300kw would be a baby on the street, IMO. Especially with the Vortech equipped BA XR8 having substantially more power through the whole rev range than the standard XR8.

#12 · (Edited)
A REAL sleeper would be the 5.4 XT+ Votech with body kit,suspension and wheels...

#14 ·
Aaron_EF8 said:
Just curious, why do you think that with a Vortech-type centrifigual supercharger, the car will be very doughy at low RPM?? As far as I can see, there will be more power at all RPM, just the gain of power should increase as the revs rise. A 300kw would be a baby on the street, IMO. Especially with the Vortech equipped BA XR8 having substantially more power through the whole rev range than the standard XR8.
I hate typing!!! - you need to write a novel to explain which i am not terribly good at.

A centrifugal blown 300kw engine is obviously is weaker with less power off boost than a 300kw N/A engine. For the first 9/10ths of the power band you have less power......

Of course throwing a blower on anything will give you more power, but its apples and oranges stuff.

#15 ·
I had the XLS (no XR8 headlights) and it made for a great sleeper, SS's and 220 xr8's many times left in the shadows. Yes my say 60 foot times were a lil slower than thiers but it was more due to wheel spin in first (ute after all suspension too stiff) no real loss of down low power. keep in mind mine was a 175kw stocky with blower extractors and 3 inch only mods really. I would always go the vortec better flow down low and more importantly better build quality! The one thing i strongly recomend is a GOOD computer sys to handle boost and bigger injectors no extra injectors (manifold doesn't flow fuel to cyl 6 and 8 very well).

#16 ·
Racer: don't you have 260kw at the wheels! not engine? Blower makes for very streetable sleeper as long as police poping bonnet and insurance are no worry. I've been there and i'm now after some V8 N/a power then maybe go the ebxr8240 option and get boost strong and sudden lower in the range. With out sounding too contradictive on s/c real boost power doesn't come in strong till 3600-(better) 4000 rpm. Plant your foot from 65kmph in second and you're nearly untouchable. Choose the wrong gear and you'll be a standard v8 till the revs are right.

#18 ·
Be prepared to go a new head gasket if you want more boost up around 8-10psi (10 is pushing) and think about your clutch not being to pleased with the whole 300 odd fwkw. My ute went through clutches heaps, but i did drive it alot in heavy trafic 1hr to work 6 days a week and 45mins home again. And as i said make certain that your happy with computer setup! Cost $7g's + fitting. Go to www.capa.com.au and check pricing.

#19 ·
what considerations whould be made for heads when supercharging?? for example, a worked 5.0 might warrant afr165s, but if i supercharger went on that, would the 185s be needed??

#20 ·
Racer said:
I hate typing!!! - you need to write a novel to explain which i am not terribly good at.

A centrifugal blown 300kw engine is obviously is weaker with less power off boost than a 300kw N/A engine. For the first 9/10ths of the power band you have less power......

Of course throwing a blower on anything will give you more power, but its apples and oranges stuff.

Aaahh Ok, you were talking 300kw NA v 300kw Blown, not an NA engine, then the difference with a blower on it.

Now i'm with ya lol

#21 ·
imo bigger with s/c is better but 165 prolly flow heaps. If you are boosted or blown you can make more power with smaller heads. keep in mind that 500hp should be your limit as your block is going to be unhappy over that mark. I'm not sure how much afr's cost or flow but anything from gt40p up is good (better with porting).

#22 ·
Does anyone know what the stock EL XR8 auto is good for in terms of HP/torque providing you're not dropping burnounts at every intersection ?

#23 ·
Ask Laminge...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.