302 with 351w heads - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2005, 19:21   #1 (permalink)

302 with 351w heads

Hi all,

I just joined the forum a week or so ago and already have a problem to throw at you.
My step-son has a 72 Bronco that we are putting a 5.0 with 351W heads in.
The short block is from Summit with roller cam, and he got new roller lifters, needle bearing roller rockers and new push rods and guide plates.
He got an ARP bolt kit so we have the correct head bolts with the the sleeves etc. He had the heads redone with new valves and screw in studs they had already been clipped for a small block.
When I assembled the valve train I noticed some of the rockers were very crooked, in fact on about 6 of them the roller on the rocker only covered about 1/3 of the valve stem.
What do you guys think might be the problem?
Any help greatly appreciated.
Sorry for the long post, wanted to get as much info as possible out there.

Thanks

Tony
'58 Ranchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2005, 01:11   #2 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Re: 302 with 351w heads

Change the pushrod length..
Yes mark valve stem with marker, turn engine over and contact area should be nr the middle..Sounds like geometry is slightly wrong..With guide plates you need hardened pushrods...What heads are they ?
Talk to the tech guys at summit...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 11:11   #3 (permalink)

The heads are just stock cast iron 351 heads. Yep, the geometry is definately wrong, just wondering why.
You think shorter pushrods would do the trick? I think I have an adjustable pushrod in my garage somewhere, I'll hunt it up and do some experimenting.

Thanks

Tony
Old 04-18-2005, 01:41   #4 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

The 351 must have more meat/ bigger combustion chambers...Heads sit higher...??? Or different ??
R.I.P Possum...
Old 04-18-2005, 09:12   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
The 351 must have more meat/ bigger combustion chambers...Heads sit higher...??? Or different ??
Yeah, all those things. I've tried different length pushrods and nothing. I'm going to have to go to stock rocker arms and lose the guide plates to get thing to line up, unless someone can come up with a way to move the studs or the valve spring pockets.
Old 04-18-2005, 20:36   #6 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Umm What type of rockers are they ??? Are they Ford specific? Or someone has fo-parred the machining etc installing the rocker studs ??...
Can you post pics ?? Sounds like a miss match??
R.I.P Possum...
Old 04-19-2005, 18:29   #7 (permalink)

The rockers are FMS. I'm going to buy them and the guide plates from my step-son and have him get some self aligning rockers. I have a set of Cobra heads that will eventually see duty on a Factory Five Cobra that is my next project, so I can use the stuff on them.
Thanks for the help, I'll let you know how things turn out.

tony
Old 04-22-2005, 10:22   #8 (permalink)

351W heads are taller than 302W heads and need longer push rods and the bolts are bigger diameter (I think 1/2" thread instead of 7/16"). FMS SVO catalog has the part no or use ARP head studs (easier).
With the rockers they maybe for a Clevo setup (ie 1.70:1 or 1.73:1 ratio).
Good Luck !!!
Old 04-22-2005, 16:13   #9 (permalink)
under thumb

Im not a windsor expert by any means but im sure to use 351w heads on a 302 you have to take 125th off the decks to get the inlet to line up properly!

Are they offset lifters this can cause rocker tips off to one side or are they out ie; side to side?
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech