302 Boss Motor - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2006, 19:49   #1 (permalink)
Classic not Plastic!

Question 302 Boss Motor

Hey,
anyone built a 302 Boss motor?

I hear its only a matter of 2V Heads (which I love coz you don't have to adjust the rockers) a couple of plugs for the water jackets, clevo head gaskets and a new manifold and extractors.

Any info would be great
Ta
Rhett Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2006, 23:46   #2 (permalink)

Re: 302 Boss Motor

You bolt on a straight CHI with their 8,2 Windsor manifold. It includes the water passages.

Original Boss 302s (I bought one new once upon a time) had a solid flat tappet cam and lash needed to be set.
DavidNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 01:58   #3 (permalink)
Classic not Plastic!

So basically all it is is just a manifold and appropriate cam?
Sounds too good to be true, whats the trick?

Whats the downsides? Does it become less streetable? Ridiculously thirsty?
Old 03-16-2006, 09:16   #4 (permalink)

nooooooooooooo,

if only it was that simple.

a 302 boss has a lot higher compression than a standard 302. what they do is they take the crank of a 302 with connecting rods of a 289, and then they have special lower pistons to accomodate the longer stroke. it's sort of a reverse stroker, if you catch my drift. then, after that, there's still the heads like you said but i think they use 351 C heads on their boss engines. so bigger canted valves, bigger flow and so on...

hope that cleared things up for you.

harald
302junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 21:28   #5 (permalink)

I took the standard 2M crank, 289 rods and 40 thous oversized standard pistons. Because the oversized pistons have a shorter compression height I'm only 0.1mm (4 thous) over deck. Better angle of attack, good squish height, good CR and much better rod/stroke ratio.
Old 03-20-2006, 19:29   #6 (permalink)
Classic not Plastic!

Whats the driveability like though?
Old 03-20-2006, 23:05   #7 (permalink)

You are making it too complicated. Depending on the cam, you may or may not need pistons. Clevelands have a very distinct valve pocket. However those a 9°x4° and 9°x3° valves. In the picture below note their is no exhaust valve pocket. And unless you have a significant cam, you may not need an intake either.

The chamber come around 65cc. However you can mill them into the 50-60cc range. Like any other head swap, you need to calculate your compression and piston to valve clearance.

In this case, you may also want to make sure your quench is tight to take advantage of the combustion chamber.

In addition to swapping the head and manifold, you will need a 4150 base carb. And Cleveland rockers and new pushrods.

DavidNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 06:46   #8 (permalink)

Somehow I think these days it would be cheaper and easier to put on a set of AFRs or Twisted Wedge heads to end up with a better result.
Old 03-27-2006, 21:26   #9 (permalink)
Classic not Plastic!

Youc an get a set of decent 2V's as cheap as a hundred and the manifold new for around 700. If you got the spare time, thats a fairly large saving i suppose. But on the other hand if u want out and out perfromance then go new. All I would want is a nice lil windsor to push my fairlane alng with my missus and two kids and do the odd skid, nothing fancy. Oh and cheap ha ha ha
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech