Ford Forums banner

302 Intake Manifolds

9K views 41 replies 11 participants last post by  Aussie Pete 
#1 ·
Yeah I know we've seen some comparos of intake manifolds, but which one is the best and available in Oz pronto? To suit RHD XR8 application too!

I saw a pretty trick unit on Rob Herrod's project car, but it looked like a more truck like unit with very long runners.

I must say, the Edelbrock stuff looks pretty good.

#2 ·
That is correct! The Edelbrock stuff would have my money (if I was in the market), however having said that I would revise this choice to the new Tickford unit, I just LOVE those intake trumpets!! :thumbup:

#4 ·
There is a cutaway version of the whole 5.6 engine at the motor show, I'm sure someone here has a good shot of the cutaway upper intake? It really shows the trumpets nicely.. I JUST WANT ONE!! :D

#5 ·
Aussie Pete said:
Yeah I know we've seen some comparos of intake manifolds, but which one is the best and available in Oz pronto? To suit RHD XR8 application too!

I saw a pretty trick unit on Rob Herrod's project car, but it looked like a more truck like unit with very long runners.

I must say, the Edelbrock stuff looks pretty good.
Pete,

I was going to get a GT40 upper and lower for mine, but was advised the Edelbrock stuff is way better...

#6 ·
The Tickford unit. Unbelievable - sort of what you'd see on VL-VN Group A Commodores.

#7 ·
Side view

#8 ·
I bet our american friends would love to get their paws on this stuff. This view shows the 82mm throttle.

#9 ·
The finished product as installed.

#11 ·
The wierdest intake manifold I have ever seen for a 5.0L Windsor was a yank item that I saw in 5.0 Mustang magazine around 1995? I think it was. It looked like an octopus, and the throttle body and MAF sat on top of it. It came complete, with injectors and rails, for around $1500 US I think. It would have suited an EB GT down to the ground with that bonnet scoop, as the scoop would have been right over the top of the throttle body.:nuts:

#12 ·
Road Warrior said:
The wierdest intake manifold I have ever seen for a 5.0L Windsor was a yank item that I saw in 5.0 Mustang magazine around 1995? I think it was. It looked like an octopus, and the throttle body and MAF sat on top of it. It came complete, with injectors and rails, for around $1500 US I think. It would have suited an EB GT down to the ground with that bonnet scoop, as the scoop would have been right over the top of the throttle body.:nuts:
Sorry matey, this is the 5.6L Windsor or 347Cubies. :D :D :D
Raw Ford Power.....

#13 ·
Aussie pete....

Let me know if you can find anyone who can get a manifold in under 2 months.

I have been after a edlebrock performer manifold (as well as 70mm throttle body and 75mm MAF) since july... but everyone I speak to (Croydon, Herrod, SVO etc etc) says they dont have them in stock, and they will call me back when they get them in.. Still havent received a call yet :( :( :(

#15 ·
XR8chic said:
Aussie pete....

I have been after a edlebrock performer manifold (as well as 70mm throttle body and 75mm MAF) since july... but everyone I speak to (Croydon, Herrod, SVO etc etc) says they dont have them in stock, and they will call me back when they get them in.. Still havent received a call yet :( :( :(
I may be doing the suitcase thing very shortly over to the states. What's it worth to ya?

#16 ·
XR8chic said:
Aussie pete....

Kelli,

Check out www.summitracing.com
I've ordered stuff from them in the past and had it here i'm my hands in a little over a week....

Jase

#17 ·
This is the one I believe Rob has put on his project car. Don't quote me on that though!

Trick Flow TFS-51500001 or 2.

#18 ·
xr8chic

Have you tried VPW in Vic yet? They seem like a smaller version of Summit. Try the link here for the Edelbrock Performer manifold.

http://www.vpwmailorder.com/asp/product_page.asp?sub_cat_id=562&manu_id=

Road Warrior

I think you're talking about the Roush intake made for 94-95 Mustangs. Had an air filter that faced the rear to feed cold air from the back of a cowl hood. They were running them out some time ago from memory and no longer list it on the web site but I think I have a photo saved somewhere if people want a look-see. Very trick looking I must say.

Aussie Pete

What is your planned combination, ie heads, displacement and intended usage? Be honest about this because the wrong intake can kill low end torque/power if you go too short on runner length and/or too big on the runner width. Re the usage consider rev range it will be designed for and also whether forced induction will be used.

Hmm say, you're running a 347 stroker now right? If so look at the Edelbrock Performer RPM, TFS Street & Track Heat or the Holley Systemax (now Weiand Stealth). The Holley does have to run with tb on the other side though due to the assymetrical port layout where upper and lower meet, a la Truck 302/351. All these should suit pretty well.

Of course if you still have wads of cash burning a hole in your pocket consider the BXR unit like that Perth guy put on his wild TE50.

G
#19 ·
I agree with Anakha,

The BXR is the ducks guts! If you can afford it. $1000 U.S.
I was after one for my 351W but it's $1500 U.S.!
I know Leon with the BXRed TE50 if any of you want to know the specs?
I do know that the BXR requires porting as standard because it's a fairly rough casting. Leon did quite a bit to his.

The Holley is the best conventional 5.0 style intake. It's large port cross section and tapering runners create the highest port flow while maintaining maximum velocity. Which means the best torque and hp.

Move your battery to the boot and use the holley I say.

BTW; VPW gave me the ****s once when I ordered a Crane roller cam from them. They said they had it in stock, took the money from my visa straight away and 8 weeks later I got it!

Watch out; Summit do the same ****!

Pete.

#20 ·
www.trickflow.com

Nice looking stuff. A set of those heads and the intake would do nicely thankyou!

#21 ·
Do you guys reckon the T-series intake will suck air into each individual runner evenly?
kinda on the same subject el2xr8 put up intake runner volumes on all ford intakes the only aftermarket one tested was the Edlbrock. It is quite interesting to know the 93' cobra intake (mine) works better across the rev range than a GT-40.
although I'm interested to know if all these figures tested would be different if they reversed the intake to the aussie/F-1 truck way. Cause they say the #5 runner on flowed less then the rest on the GT-40.. if the upper was reversed would it be a different runner..?

#24 ·
Re the Holly, I've heard from many Mustang blokes that the quality out of the box can leave lots to be desired so be prepared for a little sanding to compensate. Also its probably not the intake for a mild 302 designed for street rpms. Strokers and forced induction is where it really shines.

XR9UTE

Pete you old dog, glad to see you made it over. Did you get my email the other day?

Thanks for the heads up on VPW. I'm surprised about Summit though. They seem to carry lots more stock than other US parts places - *cough* Excessive Motorsports *cough*.

cobraXR

The difference in flow from runner to runner is due to the lower intake casting so how the upper is orientated should make no difference. The poor flow to 1 and 5 is partly due to dizzy location but can be fixed somewhat with porting - often using epoxy when there isn't enough metal, hehe.

#26 ·
I think I've decided on a new intake, but alas it requires cylinder heads to match. Stay tuned...... ;) Might have some good stuff for sale soon!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.