Ford Forums banner

302 spec recommendations

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  svo347 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I was speaking to my Dad yesterday and his XT GT has dropped a valve or similar so he is up for a rebuild, and I was wondering what spec's you would recommend.

The car as a 302 (for those who don't know), manual and currently has a 650 Holley and extractors. That's all I know about it's current specs.

He is able to get a set of 289 heads which have been ported & polished, and converted for unleaded, would these be good?

The car is a weekender, not daily driver, but he doesn't want to end up with it too lumpy and hard to drive in traffic, etc.

Also would it be worth doing a stroker while it's apart? I can hope can't I?

Thanks for any suggestions.

#2 ·
I don't know for sure if the 289 heads will fit, but if they do, I'm thinkin that it may bump your compression up to high to run on regular gas. But then, I have no idea what your octane levels are over there. ( I'm from Canada ) Since it's gonna be a weekender, stick with the Holley carb, and if your dad is cool with strokin it, it's definitely worth it. Search the web, there are quite a few companies out there that offer stroker kits for the 302

#3 ·
Yes the 289 heads will fit and they wont bump your compression too far.. I wish they would it would save all of us Windsor guys alot of time and stuffing around. But for the money a 326 or 347 stroker and small hyd cam would make a nice moderately quick weekender without being undriveable. Just get the heads flowed, work out the compression and match your cam to suit for best results. All depends on how much you and your dad want to spend.
Hope this helps.
Cheers Brett

#5 ·
make sure the stroker kit has pistons where the gudgon pin doesnt overlap the oil ring area, most guys here bring in KB cheap pistons. check ebay.com for themustangdepo 347 stroker kits, cost @ US$1000 + shipping
I will be bringing some kits in aug 04
also afr 185cc heads, 9" lsd centers and heaps of manifolds and carbs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.