351 or 347 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2004, 19:09   #1 (permalink)
Often has bolts left over

351 or 347

I have always planned to stroke my 302 to 347 when i rebuild it next year. The kit is going to cost at least $2k + machining costs so Im banking on around about $3k minimum.

My question is, will a 351W block physically fit in my '92 DC LTD's engine bay? is there any differences between this block and the 302 block apart from the taller deck height? My main worries are..

-bell housing.. i presume the 351 will still bolt to my BTR
-inlet manifolds.. do all 302 manifolds fit them?
-ancilliarys.. will my alternator, power steering etc bolt up?
-bonnet clearance
-legality.. if Mr plod opens up my bonnet will he spot anything amiss?

I havnt heard of this swap being performed before, so i presume something is holding people back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2004, 19:29   #2 (permalink)
Pro-M Distributor

Re: 351 or 347

Barry,
Ford has done this swap (EA GT) so it is very possible, I am sure there are some guys in here who have thought about it. I guess the first thing you will need to do is work out the price of an F150 fuel injected 351 to see if it is viable - you will need the motor wiring from the fuelly and you will have to change intake manifolds as the different deck height makes for a wider manifold. It might work out more expensive in the long run - but will make more HP and lazy torque (especially with a 4.1" stroker crank ) and will have a better rod/stroke ratio.
Shane

The 2 drag racers addages
1. If you are in control - you haven't got enough Horse Power...
2. If you throw it up in the air and it comes down - It's too heavy...

My Toys:
1998 NL FBT 033, Blue
1996 NL V8 Fairlane Ghia, YBESLO White, Grey trim, 16" V5 Simmons, LOW

Squeezed is nice, stroked is good, blown is unbeliveable - but all 3 is heaven
MrLandau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 06:02   #3 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Re: 351 or 347

Only the bottom needs changing..Bta the top part of a F150 is crap so aftermarket, but order one for 351.Also the wireing should be exactly the same as 302.The F150 is map sensered so original efi 302 can be used......Accessaries should all fit as they bolt to heads...I'm sure the may be issues with bonnet clearance??? But I wouldn't let this stop you..Mold a B.A XR8 bulge on there???
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech