351 W runs poorly when car warms up... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2004, 07:44   #1 (permalink)

351 W runs poorly when car warms up...

Hey guys I have a 351 W in my 79 Thunderbird Town Landau, and I cannot figure out what the problem is! It will start right up, and run just fine, but only for about 5-10 minites. Once it gets warm, it will kind of sputter, and lose power, and eventually just die altogether. About one hour later, it will again start up perfectly. We have replaced the fuel pump, PCV valve, and some other things alongside the tune-up. Now, we think it is either the EGR valve, or worse, it may be time for an oil pump and possibly rod/main bearings. When we purchased it, we were lied to, and told that it had 53,000 orig. miles, but after looking at the condition under the valve covers, it obviously has 153,000. Thanks for any help you can give.

Jim
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2004, 15:15   #2 (permalink)

Re: 351 W runs poorly when car warms up...

I'm afraid my little thread was covered up...I just wanted to submit a reply to get it back on the 1st page. If you can help, please reply or send me an email, to TheAlmightyJim@aol.com thank you fro the bottom of my heart!

Jim
Old 04-01-2004, 21:56   #3 (permalink)
3FB Educator!

I had a similar problem a few years ago in my old car, it turned out to be the coil had a crack in it .When it was cold it ran fine but after about 5mins, it would start to miss and lose power.
Hope this helps.
B-1B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 15:25   #4 (permalink)

Thank you so much! If anyone has anything else to add, no matter how obvious, or confusing, please let me know!

Jim
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech