351 windsor cam questions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2011, 17:51   #1 (permalink)

351 windsor cam questions

I just bought a 351 Windsor out of an 86 ecoline van which I'm just beginning to tear down. I've not gotten to the valve train yet but I'm almost positive its not a roller block based on the fact that its an 86. I'm looking to upgrade the cam and valve train so I have a few questions. I know that a roller cam won't work so I'm looking into a flat tappet cam. Will both a mechanical and hydraulic flat tappet cam work if this is not a roller block? Also, what are the advantages and disadvantages with a mechanical vs hydraulic cam?
hunnerdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2011, 08:54   #2 (permalink)

Re: 351 windsor cam questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunnerdean View Post
I just bought a 351 Windsor out of an 86 ecoline van which I'm just beginning to tear down. I've not gotten to the valve train yet but I'm almost positive its not a roller block based on the fact that its an 86. I'm looking to upgrade the cam and valve train so I have a few questions. I know that a roller cam won't work so I'm looking into a flat tappet cam. Will both a mechanical and hydraulic flat tappet cam work if this is not a roller block? Also, what are the advantages and disadvantages with a mechanical vs hydraulic cam?
Roller engines in Mustangs in '84, phased into others later, don't know when on vans. For a solid you'd have to buy adj. rocker arms, hyd doesn't need them as they are self adjusting. Don't really need solid unless going for high RPM engine.
George1861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:40   #3 (permalink)

So your saying that a hyd flat tappet cam would be more reasonable? And I know that I have to take the intake manifold off to figure out if it is a roller engine, but what am I looking for when I take it off? Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 04-27-2011, 14:23   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
So your saying that a hyd flat tappet cam would be more reasonable? And I know that I have to take the intake manifold off to figure out if it is a roller engine, but what am I looking for when I take it off? Thanks for the quick reply.
Solids are old school high performance items. Unless you really want solids, or building something pretty wild, you won't need them. When you pull the intake...& you see just the lifter & push rod w/o any other clutter, it's not a roller. Rollers have extra stuff to keep the lifter from turning in the bores. You can unbolt a rocker arm, pull the push rod & lifter out & look @ the bottom of the lifter if you aren't sure.
Old 04-27-2011, 19:21   #5 (permalink)

Ok. I think that covers it. I should be able to recognize it when I take the intake off this weekend. If I go with the hyd cam, how do I find the right heads to match and what other valve train components would be good to replace if I'm looking to upgrade the heads?
Old 04-28-2011, 03:35   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Ok. I think that covers it. I should be able to recognize it when I take the intake off this weekend. If I go with the hyd cam, how do I find the right heads to match and what other valve train components would be good to replace if I'm looking to upgrade the heads?
You decide what comp ratio you want, then match the cam to the C/R. Some of the 90s GT-40 heads are good, better than other varyants of the GT heads. Not familular enough with the various ones to offer suggestions on them. If thinking early heads "How to rebuild your SBF" by Tom Monroe, HP Books has combustion chamber sizes for up to about '79.
Old 04-29-2011, 14:23   #7 (permalink)

Ok. If I go with the hyd cam, do I have to buy new pushrods and lifters or will the stock ones work?
Old 04-30-2011, 09:02   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Ok. If I go with the hyd cam, do I have to buy new pushrods and lifters or will the stock ones work?
A new cam requires new lifters, unless it's a roller cam. Assuming it's a non roller cam & you stay with a nonroller cam you won't need new pushrods(if they're straight!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech