351w block - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2006, 20:11   #1 (permalink)

351w block

HI,new on the board. I have a question.I have a 351w i race every weekend.Its a 75 block. I need some input on using that block for a stroker,393 or 408.I race with a guy that says no stock 351w block will hold up to the stroker meaning hp and torque.He said he has tried 3 times and all the webbing in the block cracked.He uses a 351w sportsman block.DO you think i can make one work if i dont go to radical or will i be rebuilding evey year?
DragRacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2006, 19:47   #2 (permalink)

Re: 351w block

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragRacr
HI,new on the board. I have a question.I have a 351w i race every weekend.Its a 75 block. I need some input on using that block for a stroker,393 or 408.I race with a guy that says no stock 351w block will hold up to the stroker meaning hp and torque.He said he has tried 3 times and all the webbing in the block cracked.He uses a 351w sportsman block.DO you think i can make one work if i dont go to radical or will i be rebuilding evey year?
i have a 393 stroker with scat crank & rods , steel caps arp bolts & a steel mains girdle !!!!! essential !!!!!!!!! stock windsor block , except for xraying & magnafluxing the block . 599hp , 610ftlbs torque . no problems , regards alan.
sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 14:03   #3 (permalink)

Garage
cool Re: 351w block

Hello Dragracr. I am new here also, this is my first post. The Sportsman block is highly recommended and if you cant get that, then a block girdle is essential. These blocks are very weak. JB
JB2wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 19:19   #4 (permalink)

There were to Sportsman blocks the first with the A-351(thicker webbing) aand later a D-351 part number which was in a sense a stock block. Some standard blocks(post 69-70) should hold out to 600 hp with careful prep and main studs, as far as stud girdles go there is a mixed opinion on them with some saying all they do is hold the rotating assembly in the block if the block does go, if its going to go its going to go. I had a perfectly good 76 block crack tested and all virgin bore but went for a Dart block for the peace of mind as i will be running in excess of 600 Hp and torque.
Old 02-08-2006, 00:11   #5 (permalink)
CORCHA

No probs . I run a 393 scat crank and rods standard block and caps with mains girdle and no problem. Just keep the revs respectable no more than 7400. I make well over 600 HP make 521 HP at the wheels. ALL STOCK BLOCK . someones pulling your leg..
cordy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 02:57   #6 (permalink)

genearaly a well prepped stock block should be fine, good thing about the Dart block(apart from 4 bolt mains on every cap) is you can overbore up to 4.18( 4.2 pushing it for more cubes, with full waterjackets an not a solid block like the earlier or current SVO race blocks(eg w351)
Old 02-19-2006, 01:38   #7 (permalink)

Here's an interesting discussion on main block girdles pretty much sums it up.

http://bbs.hardcore50.com/vbulletin/...ad.php?t=15919
Old 02-19-2006, 07:41   #8 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubes
genearaly a well prepped stock block should be fine, good thing about the Dart block(apart from 4 bolt mains on every cap) is you can overbore up to 4.18( 4.2 pushing it for more cubes, with full waterjackets an not a solid block like the earlier or current SVO race blocks(eg w351)
The Dart blocks are siamesed bores..Well the 4 bolts blocks are...
The 351 will take 600 h.p easy.. Its the 5.0 roller that will crack in half with anything over 500 h.p...Ha? Even Ford say 450 h.p for the Sportman block..The 351 W generally has wider stronger webbing and can be fitted with 4 bolt mains caps...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 01:14   #9 (permalink)

My bad, here is Darts defintion(part of) "Features include an improved oiling system, siamesed cylinders, scalloped water jackets, and steel main bearing caps". I mistook the the scalloped water jackets meaning there was actual provision for full water jackets. also "Water jackets move ******d to increase cylinder bore thickness. Cylinders may be bored to 4.185", still maintaining a 0.250" wall thickness!"
What does the term siamesed cylindrs or bores mean when refering to blocks?
Old 02-21-2006, 03:11   #10 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Joined together in forging..It looses some cooling effect in theory but if correct radiator is fitted to power level you'll have no issues..It makes block heaps stronger..Not that siemesed cylinders is the main part in there strength...They are made from VERY hard iron..Takes 5 times longer to hone these blocks compared to factory ....
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech