351w intake upgrade - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2010, 20:20   #1 (permalink)

351w intake upgrade

hello, im looking to move up to a four barrel carb on my 351w in my 77 ranchero and was wondering what anyone would suggest would be a good intake for my setup. it is stock now but i plan to build it up as time goes on and money becomes available.
77rancherogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2010, 16:58   #2 (permalink)

Re: 351w intake upgrade

The 351Windsor 4 barrel intake will bolt up directly just MAKE SURE to get the heads magnafluxed to check for cracks then get your heads and intake squared and have the intake and cylinder heads ported, polished and matched then get the thermactor bumps ground to a knife edge in the cylinder heads and get larger intake and exhaust stainless steel valves and have them tulip undercut and swirl polished w/ a 3 angle valve ground and have the heads and you may have the heads milled to bump up the compression and throw on a good set of 1.6 or 1.65 roller rockers and guide plates and pushrods if they aren't bent.

This is an OLD SCHOOL performance trick the 351 Cleavland heads and intake 2 barrel runners are larger than the 4 barrel Windsor heads and intake the heads as well would need all the other machine work done as well it would need a SPECIAL water passageway milled into the heads that is if you want to go old school. Cost though might be an issue but no matter what intakes you want you will still gonna have to have the head matched anyway just to avoid any issues.

1979 Ranchero 500
wrksnfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 13:53   #3 (permalink)

Re: 351w intake upgrade

I'd go for the Edelbrock Air Gap intake. Dual exhaust sytem if it doesn't have one & a mild cam update. The Edelbrock catalog has specialy drilled Performer C heads & a special Performer intake to do a bolt on Clevor upgrade to your engine.
George1861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech