351W with Victor Jr heads, more HP needed - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2006, 05:28   #1 (permalink)

351W with Victor Jr heads, more HP needed

Hi All, I'd like to pick a few of the clever brains out there.

I have a 351W (69 Block) with Victor Jr Heads (small port work) and would like to know if anyone has some advice to get that little bit more out of it, especially over the 1/4 mile.

Heres the specs, 351W, Crane solid 245/250@50, Victor Jr heads with mild porting, Edelbrock RPM Air-Gap dual plane Manifold, Barry Grant 750cfm, 9.5 to 1 compression, forged pistons, balanced standard bottom end with arp bolts. 1-5/8 tri-y headers, 2.5 inch exhaust. Msd ignition (dizzy and 6AL) 16 degrees base and 35 total.

This combo produced 340 rwhp and has run a 12.3@111 in an XW Falcon, roughly 3450 lb car, toploader and 3.7 rear with 26" tall street slick type tyres, crossing the line at about 5500 rpm and a best of 1.8 60ft

It drives great, has strong torque down low, but I guess I would be happy to trade some low end torque for some top end HP as racing only seems to use 4500-6500 rpm

My question....what can I do without pulling the engine down and stroking, decking etc to get the car to run a high 11.99 et ?

Would a 4-1 set of headers help, maybe something bigger than the 1-5/8" I have now ?? I cannot find a 351W 4-1 header here in Australia, they seem to sell lots of variations of 302W 4-1's....would these fit ??

I also have a Victor Jr single plane manifold sitting doing nothing, would that help ??

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Robert
RobertXW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2006, 05:55   #2 (permalink)
BLOWNXD

Re: 351W with Victor Jr heads, more HP needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertXW
Hi All, I'd like to pick a few of the clever brains out there.

I have a 351W (69 Block) with Victor Jr Heads (small port work) and would like to know if anyone has some advice to get that little bit more out of it, especially over the 1/4 mile.

Heres the specs, 351W, Crane solid 245/250@50, Victor Jr heads with mild porting, Edelbrock RPM Air-Gap dual plane Manifold, Barry Grant 750cfm, 9.5 to 1 compression, forged pistons, balanced standard bottom end with arp bolts. 1-5/8 tri-y headers, 2.5 inch exhaust. Msd ignition (dizzy and 6AL) 16 degrees base and 35 total.

This combo produced 340 rwhp and has run a 12.3@111 in an XW Falcon, roughly 3450 lb car, toploader and 3.7 rear with 26" tall street slick type tyres, crossing the line at about 5500 rpm and a best of 1.8 60ft

It drives great, has strong torque down low, but I guess I would be happy to trade some low end torque for some top end HP as racing only seems to use 4500-6500 rpm

My question....what can I do without pulling the engine down and stroking, decking etc to get the car to run a high 11.99 et ?

Would a 4-1 set of headers help, maybe something bigger than the 1-5/8" I have now ?? I cannot find a 351W 4-1 header here in Australia, they seem to sell lots of variations of 302W 4-1's....would these fit ??

I also have a Victor Jr single plane manifold sitting doing nothing, would that help ??

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Robert
Hey ive had a clevor with a little more cubes running the 3v heads, im presuming the Victor jr heads are alluminum heads, so im wondering why you only went for 9.5.1 compression with alluminums tolerance for lower octaned fuel, youd be able to get away with 11.1 - 11.5.1 comp and still run Ultimate 98 fuel with or without an addative (octane booster) and retard or advance timing to match. That in itself would increase horsepower quite conciderably. The Victor series manifolds are suppose to work well but i know that alot of people use the likes of a TFC/CHI/Funnelweb manifold which i reckon would be better suited and give you a fair bit more Power/torque. I also know from past experiences especially with clevo's that they love to breath, a set of Pacemaker tuned length extractors would free up a fair bit more power aswell they cost between 650 - 750 a pair i used ones with 2" primaries to a 4" or 4 1/2 " collector. I ran twin 3" with a crossover pipe but a twin 2 1/2 or single 3" is adequate for most, the crossover or balancer pipe gives you a few extra neddies as well hope that helps good luck
XD408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 06:11   #3 (permalink)

In my opinion, that's way too much carb.

...and why would you run Victor heads with a Performer series intake? They make the intakes/heads/cams to match up so you don't make the mistake of mixing parts. I think your best bet would be to listen to XD408.

My Garage
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 06:22   #4 (permalink)

You already have the MPH (power) to run an 11. Your 60 foot is a bit soft, so try leaving harder!
Old 05-29-2006, 07:06   #5 (permalink)
Nitrous Junkie

Don't write the Air-Gap manifold off as not being on par with the Victor Jnr heads... It's an excellent item, especially for a street car.

I'd be looking at getting the car to 60' better, so maybe a set of 4.11s might be the go. Also what shifter are you using? Could you be losing time in this area (gearshifts)?
DJS351XD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 08:09   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD408
Hey ive had a clevor with a little more cubes running the 3v heads, im presuming the Victor jr heads are alluminum heads, so im wondering why you only went for 9.5.1 compression with alluminums tolerance for lower octaned fuel, youd be able to get away with 11.1 - 11.5.1 comp and still run Ultimate 98 fuel with or without an addative (octane booster) and retard or advance timing to match. That in itself would increase horsepower quite conciderably. The Victor series manifolds are suppose to work well but i know that alot of people use the likes of a TFC/CHI/Funnelweb manifold which i reckon would be better suited and give you a fair bit more Power/torque. I also know from past experiences especially with clevo's that they love to breath, a set of Pacemaker tuned length extractors would free up a fair bit more power aswell they cost between 650 - 750 a pair i used ones with 2" primaries to a 4" or 4 1/2 " collector. I ran twin 3" with a crossover pipe but a twin 2 1/2 or single 3" is adequate for most, the crossover or balancer pipe gives you a few extra neddies as well hope that helps good luck
Thanks Guys, I got the heads cheap and wanted a fast swap, when I got the old cast iron ones off I found the pistons had a 16cc dish, so the best I could get was 9.5 to 1. Yes I was planning on 11 to 1, but if I was going to start ripping the bottom end out then I would just go for a 408 or similar combo....I still might one day, but for now I will (based on your advice and others) try and get a set of 4 into 1 headers of 1-3/4 or 1-7/8" and maybe put the Victor Jr manifold back on.

Thanks

Rob
Old 05-30-2006, 23:50   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD408
Hey ive had a clevor with a little more cubes running the 3v heads, im presuming the Victor jr heads are alluminum heads, so im wondering why you only went for 9.5.1 compression with alluminums tolerance for lower octaned fuel, youd be able to get away with 11.1 - 11.5.1 comp and still run Ultimate 98 fuel with or without an addative (octane booster) and retard or advance timing to match. That in itself would increase horsepower quite conciderably.
I have a 331 with 230@050 intake lobe and have tried 2 type of heads one pair has 160psi and the other 190psi on a compression test, do you think I would be better off running the higher comp heads and run a bit more retard OR run the lower comp heads and advance it up

Better off with not enough traction than not enough power
AXR88U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 09:22   #8 (permalink)

I build race engines the best heads to run on your app. are the RHS heads cast iron.
I sell them for $1650.00 ported and flowed and would put you in te 11.20 range.
www.racepartsinc.com
raceparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:25   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceparts
I build race engines the best heads to run on your app. are the RHS heads cast iron.
I sell them for $1650.00 ported and flowed and would put you in te 11.20 range.
www.racepartsinc.com
what a load of crap, you got the mph to break into the 11's so your driving needs a tune up first, then look into a vic jr intake if you want to sacrifice some low end. 750 cfm on that motor with those heads is fine imo
sbftech.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 23:45   #10 (permalink)

Thanks, your right about the driving, I'm going for a set of slicks soon and will up the gears to 4.1 or 4.3

I used those M&H Racemaster Treaded DOT slicks 235/60-14, but they couldn't get me off the line clean without spinning so I'm going for a set of real slicks, unless someone else has an idea.

I'm also going to install a set of 1-3/4" 4-1 headers so will report back with my before and after dyno for the groups interest. Then go to the track.

I'll keep you all posted on my progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech