393W Crankshaft options... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2008, 18:33   #1 (permalink)

393W Crankshaft options...

Hey guys, I've been a long time lurker, but I've been unable to find a good answer anywhere on the net.

I've owned my 68 Mustang coupe for 21 years as of this month. I've always wanted a stroker since I first saw a 418 built back in 96/97 in a magazine. Since I'm in the Air Force, I chose the budget friendly 393 to build. I've been gathering up parts for two years now, mostly on ebay, as I find "deals."

What I have so far:

1987 Truck Block/rods
new Probe forged 302 pistons .030 over w/15cc dish (no longer in production)
Comp Cams retro roller w/.513 and .529 Lift @ 230/236 duration
5.0 Spider and Roller lifters
Unported Victor Jr. Heads: 61cc chambers will be increased to lower compression
Holley Pro-jection 4d analog setup
Hawks Racing Aluminum 28oz Flywheel (on 289 as we speak)

My car already has an 8.8" rear out of Explorer w/disc, 3.73, 31 splines, and a locker. The toploader will be replaced with a T-5. The intake will be either an RPM air gap or Vic Jr. or the Chinese equivalent. I need to retire my 92 for a year or so to rebuild it, so my 68 will retake daily driver duties.

Looking at several inexpensive cast cranks, I've read a few horror stories about balancing the cheap cranks. Hawks Racing in particular. Around ebay land, I recently stumbled aross two others that I haven't heard of Legends Rods and Fangle crankshafts.

I was wondering if anyone could provide any recent experiences with those 3 brands, or should I just go ahead and spend the extra $100 and hope that I can "drop in" an Eagle or SCAT crank without much balancing.
1993lespaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2008, 08:21   #2 (permalink)
crazyfordman1

Re: 393W Crankshaft options...

Hey new to the site, I dont have an answer for you, but I do have a question. I have a 68 GT/CS Im changing it to a V8( Im going to keep all the original) How did you fit your 8.8 under your stang? How hard or easy is it. Ive heard that the 8.8 out of the exploers have a off set to the rear pumpken, how did you get around that?
crazyfordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Windsor Tech